Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Site Team

What would you like SMB to offer that it doesn't?

There have been many discussions on "I wish SMB offered this...", so I thought I'd start a post where people could express their unfulfilled wishes (SMB related). Who know, maybe SMB will take up some of the suggestions.

One thing I'd like to have are some nice billet, functional, fender vents similar to the ones on the current F-series picup trucks. I'm not sure how much clearance there is in the inner fender, nor am I sure how much it would help, but I'd love to be able to get more airflow through the engine bay. I would expect some serious heat to exit any fender vents. I could ghetto-fab some up, but then they would look that way.

BTW, I don't believe the F-series vents are not oriented properly to work on the E-series. At a minimum, they would have to be flipped over to sweep up.

Herb

Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Optional Deaver Springs upgrade!!!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #3

Surfgeek
You are getting an '08 with the SMB 4x4 right? If so, you are getting the new ARB springs and Old Man Shock package. I don't have anything similar to directly compare it to but I am quite happy with the ride and handling of the vehicle. It doesn't exactly handle like a sports car, and has a slightly stiffer ride than a luxury towncar, but hey, I love it. Is anybody else out there with the '08 SMB 4x4 package not happy with the suspension?

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #4

When I was in Austin last week, I looked at the penthouse Sprinter; the mattress is almost 4" thick! I wish there was a choice of mattresses. How hard could it be?
Oh, yeah, and I wish there had been an option to get an extra undercoating instead of my having to go to Ford, have them do it and hope nothing important that SMB has added gets gummed shut.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Hum....Better cold weather protection for the water system. I see they are doing better with insulation. They should be able to make the flat plate less vulnerable to freezing without loosing the RIVA rating.

A nicer head liner that is made to accept gauges like the Nexus type I had installed.

Better “thru the hull” power ports. I’m not real happy how the wires are run through the top. There is a lot of boat stuff that looks like it would work better. I have been hung up in low branches and always worry about ripping the harness for the solar panels off.

Definitely add protection to critical areas that can rub holes in stuff. I spent 1 day adding rubber and zip ties all over the place.

I like the air dam system to help cooling the engine.

Add a switch to bypass the isolator/separator.

Find a way to keep out dust!

I would like an outside shower hook up rather than the current setup. It always leaks due to vibration. I wish I had a wand with a control on the shower head itself. Just stow it when not in use.

Braided brake lines.

Another set of brake lights in the aluminess bumper. I’m working on this. I zoned because I just had the bumper re-done and could have had them installed, but I think I can add a thin LED strip above or below the backup lights.

I don’t know if I like this thread…I’ll lay in bed thinking up all kinds of stuff….no sleep!

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #6

Garage
Home delivery within California!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #7

Absolutely number 1: Build a SMB 4x4 Chevy Duramax version of their product. I have had two turbos fail in 26,000 miles on our 2006 Ford. I bought it to go waaay out away from people. Ask me how I feel about doing that now... I have no confidence in the Ford turbo.

Yeah, there are little things that could be improved. The flat plate water heater had to be changed out and it still *could* leak between the coolant and potable water sides. So, better insulation and moving the plate into an insulated location (which could still be outside the van body) would be a good thing.

Brian
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #8

Customer support after purchase!

(To be fair, Texas took good care of my van & battery install- and me- even though I bought the van used... at the time I was really impressed with their customer service, despite them not finding the leak and some sloppyness on the solar panel install. They went above and beyond in terms of customer service. My experiences with West must have jaded me enough that I lost sight of my Texas experience...)
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #9

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I wish...
- the PH extends further forward over the cab.
- The cutout for the PH was a little wider.
- The cabinets be made of a thinner material. I do not like the pressed paper boards.
- More comfortable(or thicker) PH bed
- Slide out sides...or even pop out.
- A pop out to replace the rear doors would be sweet

Even so, I like my SMB much more than a VW based camper

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet but...

Hot, scantily clad promotional models like other vehicle conversion shops use in their advertising: