Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

1.1 lb Oven the Size of a Cake Pan

I used to do a lot of backpacking back in the ‘70s and ‘80s. At that time, Optimus sold an item called the Optimus Mini Oven. We used this oven on backpacking and canoeing expeditions to bake numerous foods: casseroles, pizza, cinnamon rolls, and cakes of all kinds.

The oven was not available for decades. Apparently, the Swedish company that manufactured the oven for Optimus is making it again and marketing it themselves. There are currently no retailers selling the item in the U.S. I recently purchased one from a company in the U.K. The oven is identical in every way to the original except that the lid is red rather than turquoise. At the size of a cake pan and 1.1 lb. the oven is ideal for use in a small expedition vehicle.

Link to photo of original Optimus Mini Oven:

http://photos.bwca.com/thumbnails/WETCA ... 095733.JPG

Link to present manufacturer:

http://www.omniasweden.com/index.php?id=3958

I purchased my new oven here:

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Optimus/minioven.htm

The inner pan must be greased, and the stove must be able to make a sustained burn on simmer. The oven can be used on an electric or gas cook stove. In that the hot air or combustion gases circulate to the top and heat the food from above, fuels such as white gasoline and propane are preferable, while leaded gasoline and high sulfur diesel are not appropriate. I personally would stay away from kerosene or diesel altogether.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: 1.1 lb Oven the Size of a Cake Pan

I remember those. What's the US price?

I was planning to purchase the 10x10x6" Fox Hill oven if it will fit in my microwave for storage. That one might be a better choice if it fits.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

Re: 1.1 lb Oven the Size of a Cake Pan

I bought mine last spring. There were no U.S. distributors at that time. I had to pay 39.95 British Pounds, plus shipping from the U.K., so it was outrageous. For the amount of diversity it adds for someone who is limited to what he can carry on his back, though, it was worth it for the backpacking trip we took last summer.

The manufacturer has links to some U-tube vids. On one of them, a salesman is doing a demo sales pitch and ends by quoting a price of $9.99 U.S. What company that is, however, I haven't figured out who that is yet. A Google search for Omnia Oven turned up lots of U.S. distributors now, with prices ranging from $48 to $60. The Specs say 10.5" dia. and 5.5" height. I just measured mine. The diameter is actually 10 and 1/16" and the heat shield stows inside when not in use, so in storage configuration, it is 4.75" high. If you screw the knob off the top, that reduces it to 4.25" high. It comes with a nylon stuff bag that has a draw string.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote