Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Site Team

12V electric blanket

OK, for those of us without auxiliary heaters built into our vans, has anyone tried a 12V electric blanket? I'm not planning on overnighting in very cold conditions, but then again it is easy to find oneself in freezing conditions in the mountains and desert during certain times of the year.

My wife and I had bought an electric space heater for use in the van, and it does have a thermostat, but looking at the power draw (1200W), I'd hate to have that thing running throughout the night (I do have 1 house battery).

In looking at the 12V blankets, I see they draw at most 4A so I'm looking at 48W power consumption.

Thoughts? I've got more 12V outlets that a fleet of normal SMBs (6 additional), so power access is easy.

Herb

Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #2

Re: 12V electric blanket

Instead of heating the van or the bed electrically, you could carry a down comforter or down sleeping bag. Ours keeps us warm well below freezing - coldest we had was 18 inside.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
OK, for those of us without auxiliary heaters built into our vans, has anyone tried a 12V electric blanket? I'm not planning on overnighting in very cold conditions, but then again it is easy to find oneself in freezing conditions in the mountains and desert during certain times of the year.

My wife and I had bought an electric space heater for use in the van, and it does have a thermostat, but looking at the power draw (1200W), I'd hate to have that thing running throughout the night (I do have 1 house battery).

In looking at the 12V blankets, I see they draw at most 4A so I'm looking at 48W power consumption.

Thoughts? I've got more 12V outlets that a fleet of normal SMBs (6 additional), so power access is easy.

Herb
12V electric blankets are very effective. Depending on the temps, I've used it inside my sleeping bag bundled up or lay it out on the gaucho for the first layer, then the fleece blanket over then the open sleeping bag.. Should last all night long with a charged 4D or 8D battery keeping you warm.

When we camp in the winter time, I usually warm up the cabin with a small 400watt-600watt heater before bedtime as much as I can with the Honda Generator as it charges the battery, then let the Genny run out of gas in the middle of the night... The electric blanket then keeps me toasty connected to the battery.

Your right, it draws about 4amps at 12volts.. confirmed on my Link10 Meter..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #4

My wife loves her 12v electric blanket, which we got at Camping World. It's only lap sized and I don't know what it draws. We've never used it at night, still for added warmth inside a sleeping bag it would probably be great.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Maybe everyone needs one to keep their water pumps/pipes from freezing!

Hey, it could also be an engine block heater that runs off your house battery.

Herb
Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #6

Herb,

A GOOD down comforter is all I've ever used (one rated down to 15 degrees).. I use a sheet, then the comforter, but most times I put a fleece blanket under the comforter. I also carry an extra fleece blanket plus a thinner wool one, just in case I need more warmth. Also, of course, long underwear is a good thing to have, if needed. I've always been warm, but the hard part is getting up in the morning and out of that cozy cocoon! That's when the furnace goes on.

Good luck!

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Your right, it draws about 4amps at 12volts.. confirmed on my Link10 Meter..
Great to know. That's nothing for my rig. I want something for a backup and have always wondered what they pull....thanks.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote