Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Garage
4 tire inflator/deflator

One of the things I dread on the SMB is airing down and airing up. I run about 50 psi in the fronts and 70 psi in the rears for highway driving. I usually air down to between 25-30 psi all around for dirt. It takes a long time to deflate each tire independently. I know I could get some Staun's but I haven't, and end up kneeling and adjusting each tire in sequence. Airing up takes even longer, because it takes our little single ARB compressor quite a while to push 50-70 psi into each tire.

So, after seeing a few kits for exorbitant price (to me), I decided to make a 4-tire system. My AZ BDR trip was the first trial of the system and it performed well. Definitely worth taking on every trip.

About $80 total for 50' feet of air hose from harbor freight, and a handful of fittings from Zoro and Amazon, and a little time resulted in this:

The blue hose attaches to the compressor. The brass manifold distributes the air to either side of the van. I also installed a schrader valve at the manifold so I could guage the pressure. This turns out not to be necessary, as I can monitor the pressure via the TPMS display on the dash. The hoses attach to the tires with quick release schrader heads that shut off when not attached, creating a closed system. A quarter turn valve allows me to shut off the pressure to all 4 tires at once. To deflate, I just close the valve, attach the hoses to the tires, and open the valve (with the blue hose not attached to the compressor).

The main benefits are twofold. First, the pressure in the system is equalized, so all tires default to the same pressure. When airing down, I run all the tires at the same pressure, so this is ideal. When airing up, I can run all 4 tires up to 50 psi, unhook the fronts, and run the rears up to 70 psi.

Second, I don't have to babysit each tire. No more kneeling and constantly checking pressures. I can do other things, or just relax, while inflating or deflating. This makes the whole process much more appealing.

Some people will say that this is something totally superfluous and might even make fun of it, but for me it makes airing up and airing down much less of a chore, and therefore I am more likely to do it. This, to me, is invaluable.

2 components are important. First, good quick release schrader valves for the tires. the ones I got were expensive. At about $11 each, they were the single-most expensive component of the system. But the cheap ones simply don't work well, so it was worth it.

Second, good hose clamps. I had one fail, which renders the whole system unusable. Luckily, some bailing wire fixed that problem, at least until I got home.

The only thing I would add is an in-line pressure gauge if I didn't have TPMS, so I wouldn't have to keep manually checking the pressure with a tire guage.

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #2

Brilliant!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:05 AM   #3

Garage
Yes, agree, brilliant. No issues with the compressor filling four tires at the same time?
Old 05-20-2020, 05:45 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Seems like a great well thought out system---priced right too!

If you have suggested part numbers or links or vendors you'd share that might be very helpful to others too.

Nice job, uber-convenient.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Garage
very cool! and I agree with jwa, pn’s and vendors for parts you have proven to work would help the rest of us duplicate the setup right the first time.

how long does it take for your compressor to fill all 4 tires at once?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

This is awesome - I second the comment about part numbers/links to components. What ARB compressor are you running?
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #7

Nice system. You might consider adding an inline pressure regulator. I got a small 1/4in one from Harbor freight and put it in line with my filler hose. I can set the desired pressure on the gauge, connect the hose to the tire, and walk away. Once the setting is reached, it quits filling the tire, and the compressor shuts off automatically. With my ARB Twinair, I can fill a 33in tire from about 30 to 60 in just a couple minutes.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Yes, agree, brilliant. No issues with the compressor filling four tires at the same time?
Doesn't seem to have any problem, but it is slow because it's a single stage CKMA12. I'd like to get a twin CKMTA12 for the van and put the single in my truck where I don't run near as high highway pressures.

2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Old 05-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #9

Garage
Here's a diagram with all the parts

Total price was just over $90 rather than the $80 I originally stated, sorry. You might be able to source some of the parts cheaper if you look around.

2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #10

Garage
nice work making your own, for anyone who just wants a set off the shelf. Yes its kinda pricey for what u get:

https://morrflate.com/product-catego...tire-air-kits/
https://www.ragofabrication.com/prod...31736832884788
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote