Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
I’m glad you posted this as I have the factory step bumper and have been considering doing the same thing. I’ve heard from a few people that their Aluminess spare tire swing arms rattle. If I remember correctly, the boxes are around $800. So in the $1600 to $1700 range for the box and swing arm?
That’s right, if you get the deluxe box.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Okay I have to ask -

why no full rear bumper with all of the benefits/support/add'l storage it offers? The length of the van is going to be the same. Just wondering

And if anyone wants a custom box - please ping me and we can discuss.
Oh, Ray... Some of us just really like our chrome. But I might get in touch about a box... intrigued.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalldee View Post
like most things, for me it comes down to the $$$$$$$. $2750 for a rear bumper with 2 swing arms that by several personal accounts i’ve heard rattle + $850 for a deluxe box = $3550. Or i could consider keeping my factory step bumper and add a single swing arm plus the box for $1750 or $2450 for 2 swing arms plus box. But your point is well taken.
yep! And sometimes it’s about spacing those costs out over time. I bought and installed that tire carrier nearly three years ago. Now i’m looking at spending the other half.

btw, i do think i can stop the rattling if i put my mind to it. It’s just the weird little point where you disconnect when you want to swing it away.

Quote:
there seems to be new players getting into the van game on a regular basis but, unfortunately they seem to be more focused on the sprinters. I’m not totally crazy about the way the aluminess style swing arms work. I keep hoping to see an owl van style for the econoline where the swing arm is attached to the door but i’m not holding my breath.
that would be cool. But we’ll probably suffocate first.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
btw, i do think i can stop the rattling if i put my mind to it. It’s just the weird little point where you disconnect when you want to swing it away.
I'll be looking to see if my newly installed tire carrier rattles. Aluminess sells a spacer kit that I saw on a van in the PNW that may help:

https://www.aluminess.com/accessorie...r-accessories/

Scroll down the page to "SWING ARM REST". Not sure that it will work with a stock bumper.
VanDickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDickin View Post
I'll be looking to see if my newly installed tire carrier rattles. Aluminess sells a spacer kit that I saw on a van in the PNW that may help:

https://www.aluminess.com/accessorie...r-accessories/

Scroll down the page to "SWING ARM REST". Not sure that it will work with a stock bumper.
Thanks. I’ve got this on my van. It works great for giving support to the arm:

But this inspired me to finally give a closer look to what’s causing the rattling. Turns out it’s not any up/down movement of the arm as one might expect. It’s actually a front-to-back movement of the mechanism that holds the open end of the arm to the bumper.

You can see the wear on this part from the latch moving back and forth. I don’t open it often enough to cause that kind of wear.

I tightened up all the bolts to see if it would minimize the movement. And just to check the theory, I’ll drive it tonight with a zip tie preventing any movement there. We’ll see what happens.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #16

My van came with the Aluminess bumper, tire carrier & deluxe box. I've had trouble with the latch (same as in your picture) on the tire carrier side not re-setting after I open it. I have to physically re-set it so that when I close the tire carrier it latches properly. I bought a replacement latch from Aluminess & within 6 months, I have the exact same problem with the new latch. I haven't looked into it yet, but I hear that Aluminess has re-designed the latches & they are much beefier. I've also heard their customer service is quite good & that they want to hear from folks that have had issues. Don't know what it will get me, but I'm going to contact them and see what can be done.

On another note, I've seen a couple of vans that had gussets welded in the corners of the carriers in order to beef up the strength of the joint or due to cracking from stress of too much weight on the joint. I would think that vibration/torque from off-road driving + the weight or over weight could cause some problems.

My initial plan was to keep ALL my recovery gear in the box, but it got too heavy, so now I'm looking into adding a basement compartment to hold the rest + my tools.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #17

Garage
I've had both and now have the whole bumper setup. Everything I've had from them has rattle something fierce. The box that came on my van had the arms welded and fail before me. Aluminess helped me out with the new updated box and bike mount and attempted to reinforce the tire carrier. After 1 year the new box rattled as well. I just fixed them both and they are smooth and quiet. I bought some brass bushings from true value and cut them down to fit after I drilled out the arms. Lots of white lithium and cursing to get them to line up and it's done. Both sides are tight and smooth albeit a little more fussy to latch easily. The old slop made them easier to close. I fixed mine so I "could" put the generator in the box not because of it. I'm happy now but I agree with some who have said they should have been sleeved from the git go given the cost.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I haven't looked into it yet, but I hear that Aluminess has re-designed the latches & they are much beefier. I've also heard their customer service is quite good & that they want to hear from folks that have had issues.
Maybe I’ll send them my photos and see what they think.

Quote:
My initial plan was to keep ALL my recovery gear in the box, but it got too heavy, so now I'm looking into adding a basement compartment to hold the rest + my tools.
You may have seen my post #104 with pics of my underfloor storage. That thing holds a ton of stuff! It was truly one of the best additions to the van. Sam Mulder will make you one (member NorthLeftCoast on the Forum) and it’s a work of art.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-17377-11.html

Old 01-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I've had both and now have the whole bumper setup. Everything I've had from them has rattle something fierce.
I’m glad you got this all to your liking. I’d be really good at the cursing part.

Have to admit, I’m starting to lean towards not getting the second arm/box. I’ve got a sweet setup for camping trips with my aluminum cargo carrier. But I figured the second arm and box would give me more options. Sheesh...
Old 02-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #20

You may have seen my post #104 with pics of my underfloor storage. That thing holds a ton of stuff! It was truly one of the best additions to the van. Sam Mulder will make you one (member NorthLeftCoast on the Forum) and it’s a work of art.

I just got the go ahead from my "financial advisor" and will be contacting him soon. But first I've got to see if I can find someone in my area who knows a bit more about the install of one of these. I just can't let myself start cutting holes, especially sizeable ones, in the van without someone holding my hand and telling me it will be Ok