Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Garage
Advice about your Aluminess Swing Arm

Hi all. I have the driver side tire carrier and it’s been great. I’m considering getting the passenger side arm for a box. Though it’s not in their catalogue, Aluminess tells me they can and will make it. For the price ($850) I’d like to feel good about purchasing it, so would like to hear your experience with it. My concerns are whether there appeared to be any problems with a bunch of weight hanging off it in a Deluxe box. My tire carrier is great, but that’s a constant load and close to the vehicle.

I don’t want the whole Aluminess Bumper setup, just the arms.

While I’m at it, the tire carrier rattles a bit, despite QuadVan installing it with a plastic piece to tighten it up. Any thoughts on that?

Photo courtesy of Aluminess:

Old 01-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

I presume the $850 quote was without the box?
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #3

I have had a bunch of the carriers and they have never rattled. Weird. Make sure you don't plan to overload the box. When I asked about the standalone swing arm, they told me that the max weight for it is like 80 pounds not including the box which weighs about 40. So you only get about 40 pounds of load. The bumper box is about double that if I remember correctly. Just know what you are planning to put in there before making the investment.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
I presume the $850 quote was without the box?
For sure. Otherwise, I think they’d have to kill me for revealing that price.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I have had a bunch of the carriers and they have never rattled. Weird. Make sure you don't plan to overload the box. When I asked about the standalone swing arm, they told me that the max weight for it is like 80 pounds not including the box which weighs about 40. So you only get about 40 pounds of load. The bumper box is about double that if I remember correctly. Just know what you are planning to put in there before making the investment.
Thanks. I’m unlikely to put more than 40 lbs in it, so should be ok there.

Anybody else have anything to offer about their swing arm/box situation? One concern - albeit minor - is whether I’ll miss just being able to open that rear door as easily as now. The van is my DD and I use that door a lot. One thought I had was to take the box off in between trips. Are we just talking about bolts here? Too much of a pita?
Old 01-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #6

You can take the box off, but the swing arm will still be there. Imagine taking your spare tire off. Taking the whole thing off would be quite a bit of work, because you have to remove the bumper. I don't know if you can take just the arm off leaving an L shaped piece on the edge.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #7

I’m glad you posted this as I have the factory step bumper and have been considering doing the same thing. I’ve heard from a few people that their Aluminess spare tire swing arms rattle. If I remember correctly, the boxes are around $800. So in the $1600 to $1700 range for the box and swing arm?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #8

Okay I have to ask -

why no full rear bumper with all of the benefits/support/add'l storage it offers? The length of the van is going to be the same. Just wondering

And if anyone wants a custom box - please ping me and we can discuss.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Okay I have to ask -

why no full rear bumper with all of the benefits/support/add'l storage it offers? The length of the van is going to be the same. Just wondering

And if anyone wants a custom box - please ping me and we can discuss.
Like most things, for me it comes down to the $$$$$$$. $2750 for a rear bumper with 2 swing arms that by several personal accounts I’ve heard rattle + $850 for a deluxe box = $3550. Or I could consider keeping my factory step bumper and add a single swing arm plus the box for $1750 or $2450 for 2 swing arms plus box. But your point is well taken.

There seems to be new players getting into the van game on a regular basis but, unfortunately they seem to be more focused on the Sprinters. I’m not totally crazy about the way the Aluminess style swing arms work. I keep hoping to see an Owl Van style for the Econoline where the swing arm is attached to the door but I’m not holding my breath.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

I think its the geometry of the van that requires that the tire swing independently of the door. The transit/sprinter doors are hinged way out on the edge of the door/side of the van whereas the econoline is hinged more inboard of the edge. Aluminess is developing swing arms for the transit that work both attached and independent of the door. Unfortunately, the econoline is a dying platform.