Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Air Compressor Suggestion

Preparing to Winterize! I want to buy an air compressor and necessary accessories to blow out my water system for winter (before Feb trip to Florida).? I'm not sure what to buy, and what accessories I will need. I'll also use the compressor for general things but not pneumatic tools. Any suggestions? Plus, details for my SMB 2014 Ford 150 RB with 10 g fresh water, outside shower, and 2 g water heater.

Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 276-5715
Scamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Air Compressor Suggestion

Looking for 12V hard mounted onboard air or 12V portable or 120V...?

I have a small portable MV-50 that has done me well for many years but likely wouldn't have the flow needed to blow out water lines unless you use a tank with it.

I also have a much larger warn VTC that has phenomenal output for a 12V system, but is a lot more expensive and requires larger cabling etc...
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

I'm just looking to use it in the garage with household current. I have a portable 12 volt for bicycles on the road, but that too wouldn't work for the winterization. I think they sell by gallon so I'm not sure what minimum would be sufficient for blowing out the water lines.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 276-5715
Scamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Harbor Freight tends to have some pretty good deals on small compressors. I have one and it has held up well. If you look closely you'll see that three are likely the same compressors that are sold under other house brands like Craftsman, Home Depot, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Since you will be using it for water line, get an oil-less one. You could get a standard compressor and a filter, but by that point cost will be about the same, and then you have another component to maintain. Oil in the lines could be bad news for drinking water, and could also prematurely age the water lines. Any RV supply store will have an air nipple that connects to the city water inlet for blowing out the lines.

I went with 21-gallon Harbor Freight / Chicago Pneumatic. For blowing out lines a 3-gallon is probably sufficient. You'll also need hoses and and an air-chuck. If you think you might end up borrowing air-tools from a friend, find out which quick-connect fitting they use, and match that on your setup to make borrowing tools easier

For air hoses, the harbor freight stuff is cheap. That's about all I can say about it. For the most part, I've switched all over to Flexilla hoses. Might be overkill for what you'll be doing though.