Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #1

Aluminess Expidition Kit

Warning.
I recently purchased a Aluminess expedition Kit and mounted it on the side of my Aluminess cargo Box. During a trip from Oklahoma to Texas the ( factory bolt )and nut that hold the shovel and ax on the rack backed out and the tools fell off my SMB somewhere on the highway.
Aluminess refuses to warrant this. It seems that after reading their warrantee policy they have the right to not honor their warranty at their discretion.
They didn’t even offer to replace the nut and bolt.
What has happened to customer service ??
Is this a Chinese company ?

Idigdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

I honestly don't see how that's a warranty issue? Aluminess can't control who installs their product, or how it was installed. Bolts coming loose is generally a result of being improperly tightened.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

It wasn’t the mounting plate fasteners that came off. It was the bolt and nut that come on the locking mechanism from the factory. There should be a nylon lock nut on there. I assume that the nylon locknut failed , if there was one.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #4

It seems almost impossible that the nylok nut backed itself all the way off, then the bolt jumped out of the hole while under pressure from holding tools in, then the hinge fell open and the tools fell out while on a highway.

I’d bet someone just stole them.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
....I’d bet someone just stole them.
This was my concern when ordering the kit, also what prompted me to go with the roof rack mount...takes just a little more effort to remove (climbing the ladder), but in 5 years have only used the shovel 3 times, and the ax a few more times to create kindling from firewood.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #6

Well that would have been my first thought. But they were there in the morning when we left our campsite. We traveled 9 hours only stopping for fuel.
All daytime travel. The only thing I can think of is
1. A nylon locknut was used but did not have the nylon seated properly ?
2. The company got one without a locknut

So unles the thief took them off while I was on the highway, there is no way they were stolen. One of us were with the SMB ( because of the dog) at all times while getting fuel.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

Garage
I had a issue with my tire swing rattling and they have a nylon support wedge that they said solves this problem (It didnt) they charged me something like $25 for it and acknowledged there was an issue but would not send under warranty. Lousy customer service in my book I wont by from them again
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #8

Aluminess Products

Many members on this forum have also received incredible customer service and support from Aluminess. I am bummed out to hear you lost gear on you’re trip. I do think forum members also need to here experiences both positive and negative about companies whose products we all own.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Sorry you lost your tools. Loosing stuff on a roadway isn't a good thing much less having to replace the tools. But after the fact, I'd suspect it would not have gone over well if they would have shipped you a lousy bolt...think about it. What I think is funny is they show it with a pad lock on one side and a bolt/nut on the other side. I guess if I were to order one of those now I'd put padlocks on both sides.

Like most companies, Aluminess has made design changes over time. When I bought my Van I met this guy Dave at SMB and brought up some issues with the SS gate bolts Aluminess used and what I did to fix it. I guess he worked for Aluminess and shortly after they made a design change on their new products and offered a upgrade kit for older builds. But I wouldn't expect them to pay for the upgrade even if I had needed to do so. Still I'm constantly having to tighten the nylocks on the gate hinges. Haven't had any nuts fall off but the hinges loosen up and I have to keep an eye on them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #10

We've got the Aluminess bumpers front and rear on our Transit. The rear bumper has the box on one side and spare tire carrier on the other. We love the quality and looks of the products (but not the price).

We visited Aluminess to have them install the rear bumper, box and spare tire carrier. After leaving Aluminess we camped in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park and as I was checking the new stuff out I noticed the spare tire was just loosely attached. The lug nuts were just screwed on a few turns. I tightened them up and they've been fine since.