Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Aluminess Roof Rack with Electric PH

I'm thinking about an aluminess roof rack for a new build that will include the electric PH as well as two solar panels. I was told by SMB that I shouldn't exceed 150 pounds on the PH.

The rack apparently is about 70 lbs and the solar panels around 30 lbs, leaving only 50 lbs for other gear. I had hoped to add a yakima box, but this runs 47 pounds, so I couldn't put anything in it!

I'm wondering if others have faced this issue. It seems that the weight limitations undermine the value of the rack. Given this, is it better for a simple cross bar set up or does the aluminess provide other positives that still make it worthwhile (such as better protection for the panels)?

Thanks

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #2

Have aluminess custom a rack that is half or three quarters size; size down the options for type of base material and types of edge design... or,

Use the track rail option with SMB options with cross bars for your box... maybe,

Wait for other members to steer you towards threads where different rack set-ups are used or being made... but,

If you are not already a true blue gotta have it rack user who sees it as mandatory, think long and hard about really needing something massive.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #3

Garage
The 150-200 lb weight limit is for what you can keep on the ph roof when you lift it, not the static weight of what you can throw up there. SMB says on their own website that a dozen people can stand on it.

So yeah, you have to take everything but 200 lbs off it when you raise it and that's a pain but some would say so is a top you can't raise at all.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
And don't forget snow load on their electric tops if you visit those areas.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote