Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

Aluminess Slates vs Tread Plate

Im thinking of a full van roof rack from aluminess, but unsure which of the above two styles would be "better". Just wondering what other thoughts people have other than:
the tread plate would direct water better or at least differently, as well as block most of the sun from directly heating the roof (my van in maroon),

I do not a penthouse top yet, but I plan to get the roof rack first and mount it, and in a year or so, get the penthouse and have to re-mount it there.

thanks for anything that you know or think about.

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Aluminess Slates vs Tread Plate

You might want to call Aluminess and discuss it with them. The mounts will probably be different for a stock roof as compared to a PH top. I plan to have a custom rack built sometime in the future because of my solar array.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #3

Rockman ,
I had Aluminess custom build my roof rack and have been extremely happy with it's utility .
You really should contact Dave at Aluminess because the rack that you described will need different mounting provision's to switch from stock to your Penthouse Top when you get it . Look at the photograph's in my gallery and you should be able to see the difference needed for the two different contours and their individual mounting brackets .My rack is a copy of Two Losts with the exception of mine has the expanded metal and Catwalk installed . The Boy's at Aluminess are masters of their craft and could probably figure out a way to do this for you !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #4

Dave just created this for me. Biggest issue revolved around weight (with a penthouse). This is light (relatively speaking). Can't speak to the heat benefits yet, don't pick it up until Friday. Those guys really know what they are doing and are not shy about talking you out of stuff you should not do. Just give them a call.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #5

I recently had Aluminess do a rack on my Sprinter penthouse top. I had them use 3/4 inch tubing instead of the standard 1 inch to save on weight. It turned out great and you would not notice the difference if it was not pointed out to you. The electric top will lift more weight than the manual top according to SMB so keep that in mind if you want to keep cargo on top and still raise the top.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman
Im thinking of a full van roof rack from aluminess, but unsure which of the above two styles would be "better". Just wondering what other thoughts people have other than:
the tread plate would direct water better or at least differently, as well as block most of the sun from directly heating the roof (my van in maroon),

I do not a penthouse top yet, but I plan to get the roof rack first and mount it, and in a year or so, get the penthouse and have to re-mount it there.

thanks for anything that you know or think about.
To get back to your orginal question of slates vs tread plate. Not that i have a rack as of yet, but I like the idea of the slates myself. I believe that the slates give a more uniform look and good coverage for packing and tie-down.
Still kicking around the addition of a rack. Presently not to sure how often I would use it.
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #7

Agreed, back to your original question.... I got the solid plate only because we are going to be climbing around up there shooting pictures (and drinking). Don't know anything about heat shielding yet. Slats or mesh would work for just about anything else, and be lighter. The mount issue mentioned earlier is correct, they are completely different.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #8

Awesome, and thanks everyone.
I will be calling "Dave", as soon as business picks back up.
I hadnt thought about the increased anchoring possibilities of slats... But walking around would be nice too.

Thanks again.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote