Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #11

I'm on #3 awning, 1st 2 were wind drive incidents (thunderstorm in TX and desert wind gust in AZ). Be very careful it does not take much wind to lift the awning.
I had no luck in repairing the 2nd damaged awning.
Not much rain here in the southwest but when I do use it a steep tilt is important for drainage. I often open the awning when I get home clean off leaves and let it dry. No evidence of mold.
I guess I did not read the "don't use in rain" because that's when I use it. I cook outside so it's very useful when it does rain.
Seems silly to attach a awning and not use it.

HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #12

I anchor mine well using some long 1/2 bolts pounded into the ground with a sledge hammer and then anchor to the bolts with motorcycle tie downs. That keeps it pretty secure in winds up to about 15mph. More than that and it comes down. I worry way less about the ARB than the Faimma though, because the ARB is pretty inexpensive.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #13

I'm very careful about wind conditions....I have never used ground anchors but that's a prudent thing to do.
After #3 awning I had to reinforce the connection between the Van and the Faimma awning.
The inner nuts were no longer helping and now have a aluminum outer covering of the van wall which is directly attached to the van and the awning is now attached to the aluminum overlay plate.
I still have chills when the wind starts gusting.........amazing how fast one can retract an awning.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

Garage
Twoxentrix:
Which specific 303 product do you use ...there are so many? The link to Amazon gives me a “Sorry, page not found” message.
Thanks.
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #15

Garage
Sorry for delayed response,
I use the 303 Mold & Mildew Cleaner and Blocker, and also apply the protectant spray twice a year on the canvas.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #16

Garage
Thanks so much! Amazon doesn’t carry that specific 303 product any more but plenty of places do, including Home Depot.
I am reading through the SMB Forum posts to learn as much as I can while I wait for our 2019 Ford Transit 350 Quigley 4X4 to go into the queue at SMB West.
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote