Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

Re: ARB vs. CVT awnings and add-a-rooms

We deployed the CVT screen room for our awning this weekend for the first time. It is awesome! Having this extra defined space was super nice. We set up our outdoor mat and a 4'x2' table in there and it makes a great place to confine the extra items that come out of the van (for us on this trip it means bike helmets/shoes, life jackets, extra kid shoes, guitar) without feeling like you've 'exploded' in your campsite. Where we were camping there was a heavy dew every morning, but everything within the screen room was dry.

Sorry I didn't do a better job of documenting the screen room in photos - I'll try to add more later. Setup is easy - it has a tubular piece that slides in the aluminum extrusion at the awning base for the main screen, then has a removable zippered piece that fits in the groove on the outboard aluminum extrusion of the awning. A few clips later, and presto! The screen room itself has four sides, all with zippers in the middle, and a ceiling made out of what seems to be great quality materials. In the photo you'll see that the van was parked a little higher than our awning area, but even on flat ground I think that the screen may come off the ground an inch or two right next to the van. I'll have to report back on the height.

During the day we were able to leave our side slider door open and essentially had a double layer of screen protection from the skeeters getting in. All in all, we are super excited about the awning and screen room and plan on using it a lot! In warm weather where you leave all the doors open and don't plan on using the heater, I could see great merit in the add-a-room option too for putting the porta-a-potty out there, having a sleeping porch for the kids, etc. I know the screen room alone seemed to really enhance our elbow room for our family of 4.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #12

Awesome write up. Your situation and plans are exactly the same as ours. I'm thinking of going for the full room though, and the ARB is half the cost of the CVT for some reason. I don't blame you for supporting your local small business there in Bend though. I've talked to them on the phone a couple times and they are really nice people.
Do you mind taking measurement from your awning frame/arms to the ground for me? I would love to know that measurement because I definitely want to be able to touch the ground for my purposes.

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

I'll try to get a measurement as soon as I can for you. I'm not sure about the ARB, but the CVT full tent had a (removable) floor so that even if it was a little too tall you'd still have full coverage.

I'll have to check out the ARB if we decide to do the full tent route.

Edit: I'm about 7'-4" or 7'-5" to the horizontal bar. Next time I have the screen out I will measure it's actual height too.