Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #1

Garage
Best air compressor for airing up after 4x4ing

Hey Gang, I found a link that has some good info on compressors but I am still left a bit confused. I like the ARB products $$$ but one of the gang on the Bill Burke 4x4 excursion to Anza had a sexy CO2 tank and swore by it. Now, the CO2 tank is big (like a scuba tank) and weighs a bit, it also has to get filled somewhere with CO2....so help a novice out. Tell me what you have and help me get over my cheap azz Harbor Freight bike tire pump that overheats and stops at 50 psi.

Tire Inflator Comparison

Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

Step 1: establish your budget.

I've got a 100% duty cycle Viair 12v compressor with a 2 1/2 gallon tank mounted on my other truck. It is pretty slow for filling big tires, but it will never run out of air. I want to say that was around $250?

One of my friends runs a York engine driven compressor. He can run an impact gun off of it without a tank, fills up tires fast. He sourced the compressor from the junkyard and made the brackets himself, so he's only into it for ~$100, kits are available for around $500. Oasis makes an electric powered (basically uses a winch motor) York setup that is just as fast (cfm) as the engine driven one, but you can mount it anywhere. Make no mistake about it, they are spendy: The Most Powerful DC Air Compressors in the World

Another friend uses a powertank, it will fill a tire faster than the rest, but like you said, it has to be refilled. I like to borrow it, but I don't like that I can only air up all 4 tires 2 times on a fill. If airing up wuick is your #1 goal, you can even get high flow valve stems and air up in a few seconds!

As much as I'd prefer a substantial air system on the van, I just don't find myself airing down often enough to offset a $800+ system. I think the Viair 440p would be a reasonable compromise for occasional use.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks! The LetterJ
Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #4

I have no experience with this, but the specs are good and it's budget friendly: Smittybilt - Smittybilt 5.65 CFM Air Compressor - 2781 | 4WheelParts.com
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

Garage
I have the Extreme Air Magnum unit under the floor with a 2 or 3 gallon tank and a few QD's. That thing gives you all the air you need all day.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

I am considering the ARB CKMTA12 or a Viair 420C for my new Sprinter SMB. I had Viair on my Tiger. I had no tank on the Tiger and will not on the SMB.

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

http://www.viaircorp.com/c-models/420c/
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I have the Extreme Air Magnum unit under the floor with a 2 or 3 gallon tank and a few QD's. That thing gives you all the air you need all day.
Buy the best and cry only once.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
Buy the best and cry only once.
That's right, Jack. Game over, man!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

For my occasional use and based on some advice, I got the Viair 88P -- good supposedly for up to 120 psi and 33" tires:

Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ASY23I..._eLYTybK0MPYSF

Haven't used it yet. May be underpowered for some but small, inexpensive and well reviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Garage
I use a 10lb CO2 bottle as my primary source and a 12V Air Zenith compressor with a 3 gallon tank as my backup. The CO2 is a very elegant method as it is very quick. My 10lb setup allows for nearly 20 fills @ 20psi each on a 33" tire. I run 20psi offroad and 35-40 on road. Increasing the fill pressure will decrease the number of tires you can service.

I will be running a York 210 belt driven compressor as soon as I can patch enough time together to make the bracket.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote