Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #11

I am with Herb. Quit it, this hurts.

Right before Milwaukee got so popular I bought a shop full of Porter Cable 18v stuff mostly so I could use batteries from several manufacturers with them.

The quality is nowhere near as good as Milwaukee.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
Any recommendations on the best air impact wrench to carry in my van to work with my ARB single compressor with a 5 gallon reservoir?

What's your budget?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #13

Garage
$150-$300, but open for a bit more if quality is worth it in the long run. Wondering how the Makita holds up against the Milwaukee. I already have a couple Makita cordless tools, and would be a shame to have two different sets of batteries if the Makita holds up.
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #14

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
$150-$300, but open for a bit more if quality is worth it in the long run. Wondering how the Makita holds up against the Milwaukee. I already have a couple Makita cordless tools, and would be a shame to have two different sets of batteries if the Makita holds up.

..Your original post was inquiring about air tools...so here's my $.02....

I recently picked up a Snap-On 1/2" MG725 air impact.....really nice as expected but $505 off the truck....I found a new one on CL for less than half that, and that was a stretch for my tool budget. This is for my garage shop, no way would I tote that around in the van.

I also bought a refurb Harbor Freight Carbon Fiber 1/2" air impact and it was OK...I've since learned that torque generated has lots to do with hose dia and the use of high flow QD fittings....thanks to youtube.

My old Campbell Housfeld and the HF would barely get the lug nuts loose with a 25' 5/16" hose and non high flow quick disconnects. So the HF went back to the store.

If I hadn't found the Snap-on deal I likely would have ended up with a $140 Ingersall Rand gun on home Depot's website...lots of Torque, brand name with parts readily available and affordable.

Short fat hoses with high flow QD fittings make a huge difference on torque; there are loads of YouTube vids about this. I've since upgraded my QD fittings with high flow Milton brand fittings from amazon. made a big difference on my media blaster as well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #16

+1 Milwaukee 18V.

And get the 12V stuff too... you can’t beat it- the ratchet, die grinder and 1/2 12v impact get more use than my 18v tools.

Only air tool I still have is an air hammer
winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #17

Garage
Since I already had an Craftsman AC powered impact wrench I use around the house, and an Onan genny under the van to get AC, I just leave that impact wrench in the Van. Never had enough air at the house to run air tools. After reading through this thread, maybe I'll add the Milwaukee 18 volt cordless to my ever-growing list of things to get for the Van.
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool120 View Post
After reading through this thread, maybe I'll add the Milwaukee 18 volt cordless to my ever-growing list of things to get for the Van.
You're obviously not approaching this correctly...If you just buy what everyone else rants about, your list remains short!
Old 10-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #19

5th on Milwaukee 18v impact , the only way to go 👍
co1859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Yes---a Milwaukee 18 volt cordless! I have two of these now, one is 3/8" drive and the other the monster 1/2" version---wowzers! Our worst case scenario's are flat tire changes (using our H1 jacks and AOR adapters of course) so the 3/8" version will do the job for the most part BUT its big brother does all 8 lugs without breaking a sweat.
Well, I see that I've been doing it all wrong, with a 4 foot cheater pipe and half inch socket wrench. Call it sweat equity. Got a couple of Milwaukee power tools - circular saw, 1/2 inch drill, reciprocating saw - every one outstanding in quality. Looks like one more to add now. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
You're obviously not approaching this correctly...If you just buy what everyone else rants about, your list remains short!
Hell, I've been buying what everyone else rants about here, but the list never seems to get any shorter!
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote