Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

Re: Boondock Water Filtering System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Just out of curiosity, are you having to squeeze the bag to get the water to feed into the water inlet? Or will it gravity feed into the inlet?
No squeezing necessary - it's all gravity feed. And faster than a pumped ceramic unit.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Those are awesome and I feel like an old man now. I have so many memories of squatting next to a stream and pumping non-stop to fill up my Naglene water bottles with my heavy, ceramic filter.
+1 on that. I had a Katadyn ceramic in the 80s and 90s. Worked great, lasted forever, but boy was it heavy! And expensive: I think they were $180 back in the late 80s, which was a serious chunk of change at the time. The Swiss know how to build things to last, that's for sure.

And, of couse, we're all probably going to get cancer from using those Nalgene bottles with BPA in them
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Great idea, and one that I could easily use with my teardrop water tank.

I did a quick search on gravity water filters, and saw that Katadyn has one too, as well as a few others. Did anything in particular make you pick the Platypus?

http://www.rei.com/product/872130/katad ... ter-filter

Herb
I purchased one of these a few years ago for backpacking, it uses the same filter cartridge as their hiker pro model. It weighs about the same as the hiker pro also, when choosing for a trip I rarely pack the hiker pro. It is just so much easier to use base camp. It has a washable filter that reduces the need to back flush. Oh, crap now I see they have a 10L one also.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #14

I’ve gone with the double-walled, soft side fold up version. Need to save space wherever possible. They look great, but no idea how well they work or how long they last. If anyone else is or has been using these....I’d really like to know how well they’ve worked for you, and if you’ve had any issues?
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote