Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Buckstop Bumper - Dual Swing out

Saw this on my social media feed today, is this a new product?

https://www.buckstopinc.com/reunel-t...1341-4890.html

Not familiar with anyone else offering a rear swing out bumper other than Aluminess.

I've been searching for a better way to carry my spare and other accessories that I would like to live outside my van (Fuel/Recovery Gear), so I've been leaning towards the Hitchgate MAX as a more economical solution. I like the versatility of being able to take it on and off for when I don't need it.

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-max/

It seems with the extra swing arm from Buckstop you are close to Aluminess territory in regards to pricing.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

Theres some law of the universe - when companies want a certain market share of what we all want, they're not going to price them below their competitors.
Supply and demand... I guess
Old 04-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #3

Might be quicker to get the one above than waiting for aluminess who is perpetually 6 weeks out.
Grampswrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #4

Garage
Weldtec Designs does double swing out rear bumpers, I have one on my van. Ford too. Not cheap...
https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/f...er-dual-swing/
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Reunel has done swing-arms for a while, but the design had some flaws, and when Buckstop bought out Reunel and moved them in-house, they stopped that for a while. I've now had both on my van.

Mine was the first of the current design, but it all started when I dropped off my old Reunel (pre-Buckstop) bumper for re-furb and upgrading, and they ended up just doing a whole new setup for me, because they weren't happy with the welds on the old bumper. Plus, adapting the new pivot design to the old bumper, was going to require a bunch of new gussets and other work anyways.

True, you aren't saving much over Aluminess, but I stayed with Buckstop for a few reasons:

1) It's a true class-5 hitch receiver, rated for 20,000 pounds. I tow a lot. And tow heavy.
2) The new pivot system is very robust, and not susceptible to rusting or wearing out. And more important to me, it does connect to the door hinge. This introduces door slop, and since the E-series is body-on-frame, there's movement between the body and bumper, and this is VERY noticeable when towing heavy, and accelerates the issues with hinge-mounted supports.
3) I have no reservations jacking from a steel bumper.
4) It takes a lot to damage one, but if you do, it can be repaired.
5) The hitch-receiver is higher, so you don't lose departure angle like a regular below-the-frame receiver.

There are some disadvantages too:
-They are heavy. A heavy conversion on an EB van is often already overloaded on the rear axle.
-It's steel. If you scratch all the way through the powder-coat, it can rust. I haven't had any rust issues, but OR also doesn't use road salt.

So, here it fully installed (their is a pic on their website of my van, but the swing-arms are bare), and also will 16,000+ plus pounds hooked up, with ~5,500 pounds tongue weight. (12x60 office trailer)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6828.jpg   IMG_8604.jpg  
Old 04-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #6

Looks like it will literally pull a house.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
1) It's a true class-5 hitch receiver, rated for 20,000 pounds. I tow a lot. And tow heavy.
5) The hitch-receiver is higher, so you don't lose departure angle like a regular below-the-frame receiver.

. (12x60 office trailer)
Carringb- ya tow heavy you say?!? Just a tad understatement- your office trailer may just be bigger than my house LOL

I do love that system they built. My ‘build’ is so light I sometimes throw more weight in bc 6.8 handles so much better loaded. I’d hate to see the freight charges to Midwest tho!
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

Garage
Cyrull: I can attest to the quality of the Wilco brand. Very stout, nice powder coat finish. I use the Hitchswing on my van and it’s been terrific. You can attach a ton of stuff to it and still pull a trailer. I like my spare tire off to the left side because I use that right side door so much and can get in and out without messing with the tire. Here’s a pic. More in my album of it in use.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #9

Thanks Otter, I am considering the Wilco more and more. As much as I would like a permanent Aluminess setup I don't think my neighbors would appreciate the overall length of my van as I just barely fit in my current parking stall. So the ability to take off the unit is a plus in my books.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #10

Garage
I know you’re considering the larger Wilco, but here’s a side shot of mine just to give you an idea of how far it projects. I’ve also added a locked-but-quickly-removable step into the lower tow opening to help me hop up into the back. Otherwise, this would be even shallower. As to removing the whole unit, I will say it’s a big un and heavy. I do leave mine on because I use it all the time. But it’s not hard to remove if you need to.