Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
Oni

Funny Zombies are mentioned.

While back while goofing around on the net, I found this: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/index.php

From the site: "Our goal is to educate the public about the importance of personal preparedness and self reliance, to increase its readiness to respond to disasters such as Earthquakes, Floods, Terrorism or Zombie Outbreaks. We want to make sure you are prepared for any crisis situation that might come along in your daily life which may include having your face eaten by the formerly deceased. "

Ignoring the funny name, it is actually a good site for information about stuff like BOB's. It is a light hearted way to prepare for disasters of all kinds. I've read some interesting threads from hurricane survivors and lessons learned from that.

I have some large tupperware type crates with food, medical supplies, water purification and storage, iso-butane camping stoves, flashlights, lamps, and other things ready to be packed up quickly into a vehicle if needed.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:33 PM   #12

We have used our SMB to bug out once already last September, and we live in town in a small urban area.

Late last September one roasting hot weekend an over-imaginative teenager shot off a homemade mortar at the state park one mile west of our house on the edge of town. The paper and black powder projectile immediately stared a major brush fire driven by 30 mph winds, which started to burn buildings in town.

I walked out in our front yard to see black smoke billowing toward us. Twenty minutes later the streets were jammed with emergency vehicles and on-lookers. Then the power went out as the wildfire burned thru a power line, making it impossible to get our Honda out of our garage.

We loaded up humans, dogs, a change of clothes, hard drives and IDs in the SMB and got out of the west side of town for the next 4 hours while the fire was brought under control.

This all happened inside of 30 minutes from ignition to evacuation from my house, and we aren't even in a fire prown area.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #13

Re: Bug Out Bag

You try to open the window to get the fresh air to wake up but that doesn't work for long, and you nod off, again and again. The Driver Alarm device can wake you up, save your life, the lives of your passengers, and others on the road (not to mention the expense of medical care and vehicle repair).
rowie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #14

uhh, I got a question..............................what? Maybe I missed somthing with the previous post.

Sometimes I'm glad that we can be in the middle of absolute nowhere within 15 minutes. On the other hand I am pretty much bound by my profession (like jlray) to stay and work during said strife/zombie attack.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #15

Garage

Bug out bag? I have a hat with a drop down mesh bug protectant. Will that do?