Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #1

Bug Out Bag

I just ordered the Bill Burkes Bug Out Bag. http://www.bugoutbagz.com/proddetail.php?prod=DBP003
Whats everybody's opinion on survival bags. I am sure there will be many things that can be added to this kit but it looks like I nice start.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Bill Burke is a washed out, middle-aged hippy with braces on his teeth. That and a seriously fun guy and great teacher. I've taken two of his classes now, my wife has taken one that I tagged along on, and I've gone on one of his multi-day trips (Dusy Ershim last October) and I ALWAYS learn something from him. BTW all the trips were in my Bronco, not the SMB!

We have two bug-out bags because of what we've learned from him, though the bags are ones I put together since Bill didn't offer any at the time.

I'd always recommend a Bill Burke trip if you get a chance.

Herb
Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #3

Herb

I knew I did right by following his lead and now knowing you back him I'm rest assured. Now I hope I don't need the bag.

Craig
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #4

P.S.
After what I thought was the essential add on's, the total was 565.00. Were do you draw the line on saftey?
Honey I know the next town is just around the corner, Trust me.

Craig
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by calclimber
P.S.
After what I thought was the essential add on's, the total was 565.00. Were do you draw the line on saftey?
Honey I know the next town is just around the corner, Trust me.
Craig,

Keep in mind that the Bug Out bags are also post-earthquake survival necessities. Not to mention the SMB itself.

Herb
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Not to Hijack this thread but...

Throughout the years working for a Fire Department and FEMA US&R Team, I've seen that many people aren't quite as prepared as they thought they were. I'm not sure what kind of situation you are thinking about for a bug out bag, but most people I know don't bother to get ready for "the big one" or whatever. I live in brush fire country. Last year we were evacuated twice. While I was out working the fire, my wife calls and says.." I have the kid, the dog, the external hard drive, and the guns. Anything else?" It was perfect. Anyway, I might be on the other side of paranoia, but here's what I have done in the event I need to evacuate (as in the wildfires) or shelter in place.

1. Bought a Sportsmobile (yay)
2. Scanned a copy of all my important paperwork for house, car, etc. Stored them offsite in DVD and external HD.
3. Copies of all our photos (even non digital ones) have been scanned, burned to dvd, stored offsite and on external drive.
4. Copies of all Credit Cards, ID cards, Birth Certificates, same..
5. Generator for the house.
6. We use bottled water delivery and maintain enough water for a month or so if rationed.
7. My family isn't on medication, so we don't worry about that, but we have a bag wtih some advil / claritin, etc.
8. All that stuff in those bags are good stuff.. Some might be more superfluous than others... but i guess on the whole they aren't bad.
9. In my first aid kit, I've found that kerlix, non sterile 4x4s, and a sam splint can do a great many things. Throw that in with some transpore tape and you're good to go.
10. And sounds lame, but a checklist in that bag for those pre-notification evacs.
11. Oh yah, and for the irreplaceable.. I've taken pictures of all my tools, in their drawers in my SS tool cabinets, for insurance claims. When I was deployed for H. Katrina, the people sheltering in the hotels had no proof of their belongings and had a hard time. Speaking of which, its time to update my photos

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #7

Personally I:

1) bought a Sportsmobile
2) moved somewhere where there aren't wildfires, mudslides, floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes

When the zombies come there is never enough time to grab the bug out bag anyway, so it's shoot and loot if it comes to that!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Personally I:

1) bought a Sportsmobile
2) moved somewhere where there aren't wildfires, mudslides, floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes

When the zombies come there is never enough time to grab the bug out bag anyway, so it's shoot and loot if it comes to that!
What about tornadoes?

Herb
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
What about tornadoes?
Well, you can't have *everything*.

Besides I don't live in a trailer park so I should be fine.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #10

Shoot and Loot, That's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Personally I:

1) bought a Sportsmobile

Craig