Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Bug Screen.

Magic mesh
I don't usually get sucked into that as seen on TV stuff but was wondering if anybody has put this to a test. I'm not too sure about those magnets.
https://www.buymagicmesh.com/?tag=im|sm ... d=d330313e

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Re: Bug Screen.

I'm confused about the size, single and sliding doors seems like it wouldn't work for both barn doors open.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

You might be able to sew a couple together.

In the video it seems like they are pulling the opening apart before the dog goes through. Either that or the magnets might be worthless for wind.

I'm trying to do something like that with my SMB screens by using some strong magnets for the outer edge but never knew how to make the opening work well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Overlap is my theory for the opening, however I cut my screens in triangles, and they are too short. There is a hole at the bottom where the tip of the triangle isn't long enough, so I never used them and haven't bothered with a second attempt.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #5

I have been thinking about this since I saw the TV Ad. You get 2 for 19.00 so you could put them together. If I pull the trigger I will send pictures
Bigredinvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

I think it depends on the magnets.....if they are those lame refrigerator-type magnets, then I can't see it working once the magnets get misaligned, etc. If they are the super-powerful rare-earth magnets, then perhaps....for $19.95 though, I doubt they are rare-earth magnets. After reading-up on the screens available out there, and how the Sportsmobile product Velcro wouldn't stick, I ended-up sewing my own barn-door screens. I bought a couple of dozen of the 1/2" dia. rare-earth magnets (found at any sewing or craft store) and sewed them into the edges of two pieces of screen. Rather than the two screen halves connecting in the center via magnets, I just overlapped them about 12", and there is no problem for us or our dogs to get in or out.
It works well......it takes only seconds to slap the little magnets onto the door frame, and they hold well. The fact that they move/give a bit is probably preferable, because they allow the screen to give if you bang into the screen accidentally. We can even close both doors without taking the screen down if we want to walk away from the van for just a short time. I forget the exact costs, but the cost of the screen material plus magnets was probably $50+. At $19.95, these Magic Screens might be worth a try, if only for the value of the screening material.
By the way, next time, I would choose a woven cotton screening product rather than the fine mesh-like synthetic screening that I bought, because the plastic does not hold up as well to sharp objects or heat. Also, I chose white, which isn't as dark or creepy as the olive/black screens out there, but it does stain easily. I am not an expert sewer, so it took me hours to sew this thing, but if someone had a bit more skill at the sewing-machine, it could go quickly. If you didn't want to sew, epoxy might work also.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

Yubariver, any chance we could get photos? Especially of the magnets and how/where they fit on the door jambs.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

My SMB came with bug screens for barn and rear doors, uses velcro, works great!

Assume it was made by SMB... not sure how much.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Here are three good sources for Rare Earth Magnets that I have used for various projects .

www.emovendo.net

www.rare-earth.com

And the one that I have used most frequently

www.kjmagnetics.com

K&J has a very interesting amount of info and great service !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

I have pictures of the screen saved somewhere so I will have a look for them and post them asap.

I can't take pictures currently because the 2006 E350 Diesel SMB (off-warranty now) is at the dealer who has just called and informed me that my AC Compressor is siezed, the entire system is full of metal shards and it will all have to be replaced at the cost of ~$4,000. I'm so pissed I'm not even sure what to so....I have to cool down first before making the decision to go-ahead and fix or not.

Has anyone else had trouble with their AC Compressor before...is there some sort of a secret-warranty or service bulletin that they aren't telling me about?
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote