Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Campground app

I've been testing out a campground app that I've come to like, called "the Ultimate US Public Campground Project," which is based on the website project at http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/.

The website for the app is http://modesittsoftware.com/UltimateCG/ ... Intro.html

It's for iOS and costs $5.

The list of campsites is super extensive; in going through OR, NV, UT and CO I never missed any. The info is pretty up-to-date (with obviously the exception of everything fed closing down, which occurred just as I was ending the trip). As he explains in the FAQ closure dates and costs can vary faster than they can keep up, but since the app provides contact info you can suss that out yourself.

The website has a very complete list of campgrounds, which is incorporated into the app. You can get those near you, or search. I really like that it has elevation and data like elevation; my atlases did not include that info and elevation, for example, was critical. You can search areas not near you, and use it to get directions. And it incorporates weather info at the site you're interested in.

They've incorporated an amazing area of camping sources, including utility, military, wildlife management areas, etc. Everything BUT private sites. And they include boondocking areas; e.g. it led to me to BLM open camping off I70 in UT. I knew it was probably BLM land, but it was nice to have this confirm so I didn't drive there needlessly.

The app claims to have offline capability, but although it had a blank map listing campsites nearby based on GPS the details about the camp, other than name, weren't available.

BTW, I've been discovering fewer cell holes lately. I got better ATT coverage on the (very) lonely Winnemucca to Sea highway (140) than I get at home in Oakland. Sheesh.

Anyway, hope the app gets better. Like to see links to other campsite websites, and better offline info (it looks like you can download the whole POI set at the project website; I'll look at that). The author often participates over on the Expedition Portal site, so he's obviously a fellow traveler.

Rob

Old 10-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

Re: Campground app

Boy. I submitted a comment about offline use of the app. I asked if it could include at least the GPS data since those of us that use GPS apps that can cache maps for offline use could then use that to navigate to the campground. Within a few hours the developer got back to me and said he's working on that for the next release. Good show.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Boy. I submitted a comment about offline use of the app. I asked if it could include at least the GPS data since those of us that use GPS apps that can cache maps for offline use could then use that to navigate to the campground. Within a few hours the developer got back to me and said he's working on that for the next release. Good show.
Good !
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Thanks Rob, will check it out!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Rob, thanks for the nice words about my app! I've been a member here since 2007, and yes, I do a lot of camping, but not yet with a Sportsmobile (I have a 4x4 truck with a Hallmark camper).

Anyway, there's a new release of the app out within a week (as soon as Apple approves it). Here's what's new with the next release:

- Support for MotionX GPS and MotionX GPS HD.
- The destination of some routes were not shown in the correct location on the map; fixed.
- Sending a route to a map app sometimes wasn't working correctly; fixed.
- Location detail screen improvements.
- Bug fixes.

Feedback is always welcome!
-Bill
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Team

One word: Android.

Second word: Please

Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekai
Rob, thanks for the nice words about my app! I've been a member here since 2007, and yes, I do a lot of camping, but not yet with a Sportsmobile (I have a 4x4 truck with a Hallmark camper).

Anyway, there's a new release of the app out within a week (as soon as Apple approves it). Here's what's new with the next release:

- Support for MotionX GPS and MotionX GPS HD.
- The destination of some routes were not shown in the correct location on the map; fixed.
- Sending a route to a map app sometimes wasn't working correctly; fixed.
- Location detail screen improvements.
- Bug fixes.

Feedback is always welcome!
-Bill
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

For Android, it won't be me, but you can ask the person who's in control of the data: Ted <wxtoad2@gmail.com>.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #8

Might as well get an iPhone since I have to buy two more phones just to go in these:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732 ... y-teachers

Can you imagine? "Honey, I have to take the brain and face out of your best friend, daddy needs to text mommy now."

Still, yeah, Android.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

Any work on an android app?

My GF is thinking about ditching her i phone after seeing what i can do with droid.
coronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #10

Thanks for the interest. Yes, they are working on an Android app and hope to have it ready by this summer.

wxtoad
wxtoad is offline   Reply With Quote