Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer
...but will it play DOOM?
It better. My phone plays DOOM.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
This thread is awesome. I'm trying to absorb all of the info and process it in my brain as to how it can apply to my needs/wants in a SMB....

I'm thinking just using a laptop for my needs would suffice, since I don't really need/want that many bells and whistles...

Anyone hear from Scalf77? It's been two months! We're hungry for an update!!!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #13

Dave,

The project is moving forward nicely, I recently installed a rear-view camera, I am part way through that installation. I need to wire it up to the reverse circuit and such. The nice thing is the AV input on the monitor can be set to display if there is a something valid on that input. So by turning on the camera with either reverse relay or a switch it will come right up on the display. When I complete that install I will document how I ran all the cables and such for the computer. I have made a new mounting system for actual PC that should help tone down the bumps and vibrations the road will generate. Initial testing says I may need a view vent holes for heat dissipation also. My software choice "Streetdeck" seems to be in limbo as the company seems to be going through some growing pains.

So far the guidance system has worked pretty good, I don't have any real complaints in that area, that is beyond the normal guidance complaints POI, etc.

I have a large music library at my fingertips.

XM radio.

I have a couple of movies that I put on the hard drive that can be ported to TV for the kids to view while traveling.

Access to email and the web when I can find some open WIFI, or use the dataport from my treo680.

Oh, yes it can play games, I do not currently have a large inventory of games on the system.

You can certainly make a laptop work as the main workhorse of a carputer. You would have to make a few modification to the power switch and then you could get it powering up when you started the car, etc. A DC to DC converter can supply the output voltages for most laptops. I would not recommend using anything but a laptop or one of the mini's built out of mobile components. You would get a much lower power usage with mobile components, the boards and systems are actually built with mobility in mind, they can take a lot more shock and vibe then a desktop or tower.

If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
Dave,

... You can certainly make a laptop work as the main workhorse of a carputer. You would have to make a few modification to the power switch and then you could get it powering up when you started the car, etc. A DC to DC converter can supply the output voltages for most laptops. I would not recommend using anything but a laptop or one of the mini's built out of mobile components. You would get a much lower power usage with mobile components, the boards and systems are actually built with mobility in mind, they can take a lot more shock and vibe then a desktop or tower.

If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask.
Thank you very much for the update, and the offer.

It sounds like a laptop will definitely be the best choice for me to use in the SMB, especially for the power consumption and durability requirements. I think I'll leave my tower in the house for sure now!

I'd love to be able to have a central computer that could:
- store and play my huge library of mp3 files (or CD's)
- store and play movies (or have a DVD player)
- store and play games (I need my Urban Terror!)
- handle my CAD/GIS applications for my business (mobile office)
- act as a TV (USB TV receiver?)
- act as the GPS/navigation system (not an initial priority)
- act as a "systems analyzer" (not an initial priority)

This would eliminate the need for a separate TV somewhere, but then I could entertain the kids, work from "home," chill out w/ a movie, and so many other things, all with one "carputer."

Thanks for this thread - it's very encouraging.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #15

Finally got around to uploading some of the pictures for the carputer. It now resides in the sliding door cabinet J. The cables went through the back wall and up to the front behind the trim piece. I should have taken a lot more pictures doing the install, but I get caught up in the installation.

I cut a port whole in the counter to get the cables to the monitor.

Added a wireless keyboard for the use in the back.

Installed a wireless antenna.

I built a box to hold the computer out of Baltic birch plywood, the computer is held in with 1/2 inch foam for general protection. I added some air holes on the top of box (bottom of the computer).

To aid in the shock and vibe capabilities of the unit I mounted this box on to a board with some Barry Controls T -22 mounts. I actually found some very cheep on Ebay, I will probably change to their ME-series as they offer better shock protection the the T-series. For 4WD I would definitely recommend the ME- Series.

This was mounted vertically inside of the cabinet.

I topped it off with a decorative wood panel, with a shameless plug for Intel.

The Aopen MP965 has much more power then I need for car computing. The boot times are about a 1 min to windows and the 20 - 30 secs to load the Streetdeck Software. I could probably tweak this and get some improvements..Basically it is ready to go when I stat to pull out of the drive way. I chose the Radio Power wire to enable the DC to DC converter to come on. So as soon as you start the van the carputer will power up. Of course when you are camping you can turn it on with the switch to run the radio off of the house battery.

The computer it self uses about a 4 amp draw, add a couple of more for the monitor and stuff. Not a big issue when you are on the move but if you were dry camping it would be a power hog.

I also added a rear view camera since the touch screen monitor has a video input.

I taped into the reverse circuit to engage a relay to power up then camera when I go into reverse. The normally connected side of they relay is wired to a switch up front so I can turn it on when I want to. It is Model Number: CW134086CAI (audio model). This has excellent night vision and has a switch for mirror or non-mirror mode.

So if my typing sucks, who knows I may just be cruising in the Sportsmobile.

Greg
Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #16

Absolutely AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing your project, and posting the write-up and photos!!

Once I get my SMB, I can only hope to have a system half as cool as your's.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #17

Re: Carputer Anyone?

Great post! I've been thinking about putting a mini-box machine. Any chance you could do a follow up post on how your system has been working?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #18

How about voice control for your carputer entertainment.

Note: Software is Ride Runner, the Skin is DFX5 made by JohnWPB and Blue ZX3. The voice control is by Jebus. You can find it on MP3car.com Forum.

greg
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #19

I thought I would update this topic, as the software has been refreshed in the last year. The software I now use as the Frontend of the Carputer is called Ride Runner. It is really a nice piece of software that is totally free and supported by the online community.

This software gives you great touch screen control of all the various apps that you have access to. The nice thing is that you can also write your own plug in software to interface with your own stuff. One of the first one that I wrote was a temperature monitor.

It monitors 4 different temperatures, plus keep track's of Min & Max Data

Another recent one have I wrote was a RV status Monitor.

It monitors Battery Voltage on House and Van Batteries, Current, From Charger, Alternator and future Solar. I also monitor the Water Tank Level. I have up to 8 Digital Outputs, currently I can disable or enable the SurePower, turn on or off the water pump, The van radio switch, outdoor porch light, lock & unlock doors. It can also monitor 8 digital inputs. Currently, that is Pop-Top Latched Status, Access Door Open, Spare Tire latch (TBI),Water pump, Battery Separator, Van Radio Switch, Door Lock Status, and Engine Run Status. I can use these in carious ways in the software. Here you can see the separator indicator.

Or this one is a combination of Pop-top Latch, Access Door and Spare Tire latch .Who hasn't driven off with one of those three things not in the correct position?

An earlier piece of software that I wrote that I need to convert to a plug-in was a Xantrex Battery Monitor interface.

Nice, but I forgot one of the main reasons is to keep track of your music. How about a nice album cover browser?

Or you sort with lists

Ok, now you might need a GPS software. How about Iguidance? or Topo 8?

How about a rear view Camera? This option uses another free soft called minicam, it will record if you want, it also overlays GPS information on the screen and some limited ODB data also.

If you have internet access you can even open up more tools, How about gas prices ?

Even if your going to the back country you have to get out of town first, need to check traffic? why not link into traffic cams

or maybe take a look at Google Traffic

Now how about a couple of games, all touch screen friendly.

Black Jack Anyone?

Maybe browse your favorite website.

Change the colors

Or maybe you want a clock & calendar instead of a logo.

Or Weather?

or the music Album Cover

The possibilities are pretty endless. You can find this software http://www.mp3car.com The skin that I am using is called DFX5, there are some pretty talented people putting a lot of hours for free.

And the big thing that this software now brings to the table is voice control, see previous post. Here you see the noise canceling microphone.

Of course I need an easy way to put the computer in to listen mode, and for that I installed this Sony music stalk on steering wheel, this make it pretty easy to navigate the computer with your hands on the wheel.

I will follow up on some of the hardware used in the RV status
plug-in later. Most of my hardware has remained the same, obviously you could run all of this on a net book pretty easily. Most of the common interface things are done through USB.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #20

I am going to have to hook up with you when I am ready to add a carputer system to my SMB.....

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote