Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Coleman Quad Camplight

A quick update on the Coleman Quad Lantern . Now at 83 hours and according to my Luna Pro still as bright as the beginning of test . I am alternating between leaving the lights attached to the main body of the lantern and removing and placing the four individual lights in a thirty foot square .
Incidentally the light meter also indicate's that the Quad is equal to or slightly brighter than a Coleman Single Mantle Propane Lantern .
Greggde
NOTE:
Bad addition actual run time corrected to 63 hour's , I apologize to all of you who became excited .

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Coleman Quad Camplight

So what is your overall view of the product? Pro/cons?
Thanks.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #3

Very usable Lantern Dave and I would recommend it to anyone with an appreciation of utility.
The batteries finally died at 69 hours and they stayed very constant until 67 hours at which time they slowly faded away .
The single best feature to me is being able to remove the individual panels for strategic placement and of course the fact that you are not replacing the mantle's after a mild jolt or a long washboard road .On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 7 plus .
Greggde
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #4

When you measure the lumens are you doing it right next to the lanterns? How does it compare 5 ft or 10 ft away? I always feel like my LED headlamp isn't as good as incandescent as it shines further out.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #5

Jage ,
All measurements were done at 3 meter's and in a 360 degree radius . I chose this distance because of an old time friend that was in charge of research and development for Coleman's Camping Division . I am not completely sure how they settled on the 3 meter's but everything that Brenten ever shared with me you could take to the bank . I cut and attached a 3 meter piece of Para Cord to a Round Steel Snow Peak Tent Peg that would be driven into the ground along side of the lantern , extend the cord and walk in circle's around the Quad and the Single Mantel White Gas Coleman . I did this in varying condition's of natural ambient light . The only con that I have is that it is a little heavy but so useful overall that you soon discount this feature .
Greggde
P.S. My Girls love it
Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #6

Is this a rechargable Li-Po battery powered lantern, or disposable batteries? I have not seen it on the shelves.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #7

Patrick ,
This Coleman Lantern is powered by D cell batteries which in turn charge the individual Lithium pod's that provide a very useful placement of light . Go to www.coleman.com and access the Battery Lantern's , the model is the Quad . They also have model's that are rechargeable that utilize the state of the art Cree LED technology .
Greggde
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Just picked up the Coleman Duo lantern, the kid brother to the Coleman Quad lantern. Love this thing. Bright, portable, lighting lasts a long time. This will see heavy use camping, and around the house.

The reason I went with the Duo instead of the Quad, is that it can use the rechargeable battery pack instead of 4D cell batteries. The rechargeable battery pack also comes with a 120V charger, and a 12V charger (perfect for the SMB).

Herb
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

I hate rechargable packs, I'm always looking for things I can shove batteries in and have them work for as long as I can get batteries. I've used the quad a ton in the house for projects and when power is out, being able to pop on quarter off and use the lantern and 1/4 in tandem is great. Casts excellent light outside too. I'm really impressed with it all around... just don't pick it up by the removable handles...
Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I hate rechargable packs, I'm always looking for things I can shove batteries in and have them work for as long as I can get batteries. I've used the quad a ton in the house for projects and when power is out, being able to pop on quarter off and use the lantern and 1/4 in tandem is great. Casts excellent light outside too. I'm really impressed with it all around... just don't pick it up by the removable handles...
The Duo coems straight out of the box with the 4 D battery pack, and you can swap between the 4 D pack and the rechargeable pack.

So what's the problem with picking up by the removable panel handles? Do the panels comes off when you don't want it to?

Herb