Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #11

Re: Cook Set

Joey ,
The Moroccan Tangine is a wonderful way to cook , but the fact that they are made from Clay or Ceramic would make prone to breakage. We have a couple that we have enjoyed but never
considered light or strong enough for carrying along on trips .Properly used they make for some spectacular eating though !
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #12

I'd like to mention a couple of other useful things. The silicone collapsible stuff is great for storing in an RV. I have the collander with handle, measuring cups and spoons, funnel, etc. And none of it makes a sound when jiggling around. I also have, and love the Tupperware mugs that have a lid with pop-open vent. Absolutely great for heating stuff in the microwave. Like the small salt and pepper shaker with closable lids, too.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #13

All the talk of tagines made me dig mine out, wash the dirt of years off it and cook a meal. Made a delicious lemon saffron chicken over a bed of rice. Fantastic. It is easy to cook excellent single pot meals and of course in Morocco they do so over small charcoal fires. That would translate easily to campfires but even though they do travel well on camels, I don't think it would hold up well in a van.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

I have yet been able to find a durable compactable cook set that lasts. I carry a Thermos cook and carry which doubles as a stock pot. Really all I need is is a good fry pan that handles propane heat well and doesn't require much washing for cleanup. I bought one of those backpacking non stick skillets and it didn't last long. It seems you have to choose between something that lasts forever like cast iron or the easy fast cleanup of a teflon type pan which lasts only a short time. I try to carry foods that don't require a fry pan, but sometimes you got to have it. I'm thinking of something like Anolon...pull the handle off and using a pot grabber as the handle. Stuff is tough.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #15

I like the Bugaboo set from REI. It comes with cups, bowls, and plates. http://www.rei.com/product/784105
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #16

Daveb ,
We are using an assortment of the following brand of cookware with much (happiness) The cleanup and durability has been great plus weight and cost is very reasonable .
http://www.titanium-cookware.com
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Gregg, gotta laugh, because when I was responding to the post I wondered what the hell does Gregg use? I should have just called you But I have to ask, does that stuff work like in the video? Looks great and is actually what I'm after...maybe even at home.

dave

Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #18

Dave, you don't ever put your van non-stick in the dishwasher at home do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
the non-stick skillet [in the van] has held up through 3 or 4 sets in our home kitchen (which admittedly get more use).
We finally figured out the reason for this- the kitchen ones were going in the dishwasher and the detergent absolutely ruins them. Just something I never knew- apparently you shouldn't put knives in either as it eats the fine edge on the blade. I'm constantly sharpening my knives and wondered why I couldn't find any that would last like my parents'- well they don't have a dishwasher.

Anyway I was forced to cook on a stainless for a week at Disney- we have one in the kitchen, but it never gets used. It wasn't that bad after soaking to clean- easier than cast iron, harder than non-stick. Everything burns in the bottom, and you just get used to it. Might be a compromise to try.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #19

Daveb,
I have never taken the time to Blow an Egg but have cleaned the all three of the skillets at one time or another while on trips and found them very easy to clean , We use nothing a 3M scouring type sponge and the Coghlan Biodegradable Camp Soap (very low suds) and a little Hot Water to rinse , wiped dry with a paper towel that is used for Fire Tinder . Upon our return home everything goes into the dishwasher on a High Temp /Sanitize Scrub cycle . Ours have an added feature of removable Silicon Handle Covers that make for safe handling over a nice Keyhole Fire when we are somewhere that it is safe and allowed . I have never cleaned the Pot's in the set but Joann tells me they are just as easy . Note I have never had to use the Scouring side of the Sponge to clean the Pans .
Greggde
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Dave, you don't ever put your van non-stick in the dishwasher at home do you?
No, none of the pans I have purchased for camping/packing are put into any dishwasher because most of those pans say “not dishwasher safe”. But the Anolon pans that I’ve had for over 15 years do see the dishwasher and they have seemed to survive for a lot longer than I ever thought they would. The Coleman stuff I bought didn’t take long to fail after cooking on a propane burner. I bought one of their cheaper skillets on the road and it didn’t even last the trip. The only Teflon type pan I want is a fry pan, but I don’t need something that chips off coating into my food. The stainless steel and titanium pots I carry are fine for what I use them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Daveb ,
We are using an assortment of the following brand of cookware with much (happiness) The cleanup and durability has been great plus weight and cost is very reasonable .
http://www.titanium-cookware.com
I was just looking for a 10” skillet with a lid…do they sell pieces or just sets? I would go for that 12 fryer but I don’t know how it would do as a fry pan and it’s kind of large…do you have that piece?

Dave