Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

Cooking shelf and table attached to ladder

We have an Alumines box on the rear bumper that folds out and it functions well as a table for cooking. However, for food preparation, plates, dishes, there is just not enough space on that folded down door in addition to the stove. And I often find it too much trouble to get a camping table from the van (opening the rear doors means dust gets in our bedding). Originally I wanted to have a fold down table/shelf that would be stored in place, e.g. behind the spare tire carrier, or behind the box on the bumper. However, there is just not enough space between these swing arms and the rear barn doors. So, I sacrificed the idea that it had to store in place.

Over the last few days I put some material together to make a shelf/table that attaches to the ladder. This idea is inspired by what others on the forum have done with hanging brackets from the ladder.

The shelf/table had to:
1. Hold a 2 burner Coleman stove and heavy pots with boiling water. Thus it had to be sturdy, stable, secure.
2. Be a space (shelf/table) for dishes etc. if the stove is not there.

I also wanted the shelf/table to be:
1. Small enough to store on the outside of the van (e.g. in a bag over spare tire). I did not want to get in and out of the van to get the parts; it had to all be stored outside the van and be accessible from the outside. Thus I was thinking it may have to be collapsible and have a few parts rather than be one thing.
2. Easily and quickly assembled and disassembled.

The following is what I did:
1. I got folding shelf brackets
2. I bolted these on aluminum U channel
3. I bolted tool storage hooks on the top of the aluminum U channel
4. I put rubber stoppers / spacers on the back of the aluminum U channel (screws go through bracket and U channel). This made the shelf level rather than sloped down.
This resulted in relatively compact brackets that don't take up much storage space.

Then:
5. I got a metal wire shelf with sides. The sides provide extra security against the stove sliding off. The Coleman stove "almost" fits perfectly on this shelf.
6. I clipped away some of the wires for the flame controls and the igniter of the Coleman stove.
7. I attached shelving U channel on the bottom of the bracket. Amazingly this fit over the folding bracket perfectly. I used zip-ties to attach the U channel to the wire shelf.
8. Bolts that I inserted in the bracket (upside down) function as stoppers, preventing the U channel and the wire shelf from sliding forwards or backwards on the folding shelf brackets. The U channel combined with the stoppers result in sufficient rigidity.
9. I cut two short straps of velcro to secure the U channel and wire shelf to the folding brackets... A heavy pot on the side of the shelf now cannot cause the shelf to flip up on the other side.

I think this will work. I recognize though that there are many variants possible...
Attached Thumbnails
20200718_191008.jpg   20200718_191421.jpg   20200718_191211.jpg   20200718_191252.jpg   20200718_191608.jpg  

20200718_191645.jpg   20200718_191721.jpg  

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
That looks to be workable, seems to fit your needs and desires so far?

If you're anything like me such projects always evolve or morph after a few uses which I don't mind. We all start with an idea and tweak it over time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Yes, that's right.
I just "finished" it yesterday.
I will post about experience using it, and potential modifications !
Old 07-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

I like the idea. I have wanted something along those lines on occasion as well. Look forward to seeing how it works for you.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #5

Went out camping and cooking for a few days and used the table that hangs from the side ladder. It works quite well, and it allows us to use the fold down door of the box on the rear bumper as a food prep area. The shelf is also useful to dry dishes.

Some issues:
1. When going in and out of the van the shelf may move a bit, especially without weight on it. A Velcro strap at the bottom connecting it to the ladder solves that.
2. If you are not parked exactly level, you can play with some leveling blocks... that's what they are for, right?
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC4724.jpg   _DSC5033.jpg   _DSC5037.jpg   _DSC4695.jpg  
Old 08-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #6

Wow Marcel thats a great idea and looks good to!
We just got back from a trip to Bonneville, and I also have a fabricated swing out Aluminess Box that is used in the same manner as yours.
Nicely done ,and now you have me thinking as that would work for us as well!
Attached Thumbnails
991D118B-AD2B-44A0-AAB3-ECDCAFC98389_1_201_a.jpg  
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #7

Garage
Always fun & interesting to see the creative ideas others develop - makes the rest of start contemplating how we can make similar fit our needs.. Wish I had more time for these projects...and didn’t have a rig that already weighed in at 11,500lbs. Well done Marcel!

Tags
ladder, shelf, stove, table