Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Cool New? Lug Wrench

The second tool purchased as "gently used" has arrived but sadly experienced the same failure as the previous one, coming part due broken internal parts. I strongly suspect the seller has bought a a number of these without knowing some were defective---they've been very good at working with me on this.

As this saga continues I become more and more intrigued how well it will work, that old wanting what we can't have syndrome kicking in. If all else fails I'll stop playing around with used and spring for the new w/warranty version for $125 shipped to my front door.

Anyone who's looking in hoping or interested in a real-world experience/update I hope to eventually have one---time TBD as they say.

JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #12

"Ha, no torque wrench just the cheap lug wrench and lame bottle jack in mine."

I had to use the lame bottle jack last year and found it surprisingly effective. Mine works with an extended rotating arm so that the jack raises the vehicle by rotating the gear on the bottom of the jack. Because the failed Michelin (one of those that should have been recalled) was on the rear traffic side I was able to squat behind the van and rotate the arm this raising the van. Once I got it high enough to accommodate the inflated spare, I was able to place a jack stand under the axle to offer more security because the bottle jack base like most was very small.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
"Ha, no torque wrench just the cheap lug wrench and lame bottle jack in mine."

I had to use the lame bottle jack last year and found it surprisingly effective. Mine works with an extended rotating arm so that the jack raises the vehicle by rotating the gear on the bottom of the jack. Because the failed Michelin (one of those that should have been recalled) was on the rear traffic side I was able to squat behind the van and rotate the arm this raising the van. Once I got it high enough to accommodate the inflated spare, I was able to place a jack stand under the axle to offer more security because the bottle jack base like most was very small.
That sounds more like a scissor jack? And you carry jack stands with you? Anyhow, my issue with the OEM jack is that it can't reach a frame rail. The one time I had to use it I was un-prepared and didn't have any blocking to get it to simply reach the axel. I had to use rocks, and even then I couldn't get it high enough. I have 35" tires. I could get the flat one off but could not get the fully inflated one on. I'm reasonably strong but with rim that's 80 pound or so of awkward lifting. Plus, the added stress of the axel slipping off the bottle jack which really isn't designed to lift that way. A sure-fire scenario leading to self-medication

Like many others on this forum I've picked up one of these. Much safer but I stll carry the lame bottle jack in case I can't get it under the axel if the wheel is in a whole or something.
Attached Thumbnails
3-ton-all-in-one-bottle-jack-jack-stand.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Not sure how we've detoured to jacks but okay---we are flexible and open if nothing more right?

Bottle jacks seem to be designed more as straight line lifting or pushing tools, assume they have solid and positive surfaces on either side of their motion. Instances where we'd have flat hard surfaces and a completely level vehicle they're probably superior to most other jack types. In fact the stock screw bottle jack Ford supplies is a nice tool for its intended purpose: perfectly straight lifts on concrete.

Sadly flat tires don't seem to happen in ideal places so its paramount having a jack or other lifting device that can SAFELY lift and/or temporarily support our vehicles. If room permitted I too could carry at least one heavy duty (6 ton rated) stand and use it as quickly as it fit under my axle or chassis.

One reason the torque multiplier lug tool attracted my attention is knowing it does not rely on a long lever-type tool that can and does cause a lifted vehicle to move as force is exerted to loosen or tighten lugs. With freeway tire changes in mind the torque multiplier tool seems pretty ideal for this task.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #15

"That sounds more like a scissor jack? And you carry jack stands with you? Anyhow, my issue with the OEM jack is that it can't reach a frame rail. The one time I had to use it I was un-prepared and didn't have any blocking to get it to simply reach the axel. I had to use rocks, and even then I couldn't get it high enough. I have 35" tires. I could get the flat one off but could not get the fully inflated one on. I'm reasonably strong but with rim that's 80 pound or so of awkward lifting. Plus, the added stress of the axel slipping off the bottle jack which really isn't designed to lift that way. A sure-fire scenario leading to self-medication"

I use the same one as you as both a jackstand and a jack. But its too large to get under the axle when the tire is on the rim. Whereas the stock jack is small enough to fit under the axles just inboard from the shock support. I do carry 2x4 and 3x3 blocks to be able to ensure a flat jack support surface. These events inevitably happen on poor surfaces. Once I had to role the van with a trailer attached that was too heavy to remove. I had stopped on the exit commencement of I-35 near Waco and the shoulder was onlt a couple of feet. It was a question of stay and get hit or destroy a wheel. So chose the latter.

I have now replaced all 5 with 17.5" Ricksons sporting LRG Bridgestones and drive with much less anxiety. Turns out I had 7000 lbs on the rear axle. Much too much for LRE tires at 100 ambient, 150 surface temps and the construction road surfaces of TX.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
I use the same one as you as both a jackstand and a jack. But its too large to get under the axle when the tire is on the rim. Whereas the stock jack is small enough to fit under the axles just inboard from the shock support. I do carry 2x4 and 3x3 blocks to be able to ensure a flat jack support surface. These events inevitably happen on poor surfaces. Once I had to role the van with a trailer attached that was too heavy to remove. I had stopped on the exit commencement of I-35 near Waco and the shoulder was onlt a couple of feet. It was a question of stay and get hit or destroy a wheel. So chose the latter.

I have now replaced all 5 with 17.5" Ricksons sporting LRG Bridgestones and drive with much less anxiety. Turns out I had 7000 lbs on the rear axle. Much too much for LRE tires at 100 ambient, 150 surface temps and the construction road surfaces of TX.
I measured the Powerbuilt min & max heights to be 10-3/4 & 16 inches (5-1/4 inch range). I considered the maximum height to be the highest position at which the built-in jack stand locks. The jack will go as high as 17 inches giving it a range of 6-1/4 inches, but my jack settles under weight no matter how tightly I close the release valve. That said if you have a flat and the wheel is resting on its rim, the jack is almost certainly too tall to go under your axle even with 17.5 inch wheels. But don't despair; just carry two(?) 2x6 pieces of lumber, drive the flat wheel onto the lumber such that it does not interfere with the Powerbuilt, jack it up, remove the boards, take off the bad wheel, jack up more if necessary to put on the spare (hopefully that 5-1/4 inch range will do it). With an inflated tire on, the jack should be easily removed. A dry run would be a wise thing to do to make sure the next flat is not a nightmare and it might even convince you to leave the OEM jack at home. After all the Powerbuilt is bulky enough!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #17

Good solution however if the SMB is hooked to a trailer, driving the deflated tire on the rim is not going to work as the hitch is dragging badly.

When this happened to me (twice thanks to the BS Michelin was making) I was able to solve the problem with the stock Ford jack which is small enough to fit under the axle with the rim on the deck and the tire destroyed.

Besides which I have no storage space for wooden boards in the van although I have to carry several in the trailer to load the cars.