Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #11

I love my milwauke m18 high torque impact and my 3/8 ratchet impact. I mostly use them to break bolts free. I prefer to torque by hand when reinstalling. If I had a nice set of torque sticks though that might change my mind.

The "one key" m18 looks cool. It has a Bluetooth feature so you set custom torque settings on the tool and have 4 different profiles.

https://www1.milwaukeetool.com/Produ...enches/2863-20

Old 04-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

Love my M18's. I even have the M18 weed whacker!!!
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnew View Post
I love my milwauke m18 high torque impact and my 3/8 ratchet impact. I mostly use them to break bolts free. I prefer to torque by hand when reinstalling. If I had a nice set of torque sticks though that might change my mind.
I wholeheartedly recommend buying an affordable set or individuals for specific lug nut torque. I too use a dedicated torque wrench after the impact to assure I have at least 140 ft/lbs on my E-Series vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnew View Post
The "one key" m18 looks cool. It has a Bluetooth feature so you set custom torque settings on the tool and have 4 different profiles.
That's a very cool feature but being an analog guy in a digital world I don't (and won't) use a smart phone. The custom settings along with the tools trackability is beyond cool though, gotta admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
Love my M18's. I even have the M18 weed whacker!!!
A friend who doesn't use the internet wanted me to find a suitable pole saw for use on his mini-farm. He's pretty much been fully converted to Milwaukee but so far he's not decided if he really really needs one or just wants it---I say there's no difference between those two when it comes to tools. I buy because they're available!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #14

Some day I'll bite the bullet and buy the Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun. For years I've had an 18V DeWalt (now running a 20V adapter) and while it works for most tasks, I doubt it would make a dent at loosening even one of the E-350 lug nuts, much less all 32 of them.

I've basically given up on the idea of trying to have one battery type for all tools... too restrictive... as some brands simply do some tools better than others at various costs. That said, I do need to figure out a better battery charging station in my garage...
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #15
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Some day I'll bite the bullet and buy the Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun. For years I've had an 18V DeWalt (now running a 20V adapter) and while it works for most tasks, I doubt it would make a dent at loosening even one of the E-350 lug nuts, much less all 32 of them.

I've basically given up on the idea of trying to have one battery type for all tools... too restrictive... as some brands simply do some tools better than others at various costs.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that notion unless you're bargain shopping for an adequate tool at a certain price point. For my money and sanity the Milwaukee brand has rarely failed to produce a great tool. I do shop around for the best price and for the most part I find Milwaukee for same or slightly lower price than the Ryobi or similar house brands sold in the "home centers".

For me once I'm invested in a brand and have the necessary batteries and chargers adding separate tools sold individually its at a final cost of owning multiple brands.

I've also had different brands thinking they were each better for certain tasks and not others---Milwaukee pretty much dispels that notion IMHO. Mind you that was almost 30 years ago, cordless tools having made monumental leaps in quality and function.

To each their own tool-wise---if we find something that works over the long term its a good day.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #16

Could you get away with a mid torque (700 ft lbs I think) for carrying around with a van with 1 ton steering bits? Or is the 4 figure torque of the high torque models pretty much a requirement?

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Could you get away with a mid torque (700 ft lbs I think) for carrying around with a van with 1 ton steering bits? Or is the 4 figure torque of the high torque models pretty much a requirement?
Good question and I would guess the mid-torque 2860-20 with 450 ft/lbs tightening torque and 600 nut busting specs would work fine for wheel changes and most suspension work. Naturally there are some tasks it would work well but those wouldn't be the typical repairs you'd undertake while on the road.

OTOH the 2767-20 high torque has 1,000 ft/lbs tightening torque, 1,400 ft/lbs nut busting torque so would do most every suspension job very well. They're not that much different in price or physical size all things considered for me and my money the 2767-was the go-to choice.

I have used to good effect the 2754-20 3/8" with 210 ft/lbs fastening torque on one of my E-250's---it works okay but does take a bit more "hammering" to break the lugs loose. I've seen YouTube videos of guys removing big truck lug nuts with this same tool, first verifying the lugs were torqued to certain values. Here's one such video, a bit long but interesting none the less:

If we're only doing wheel changes and we set our lug torque to 140 ft/lbs spec the 3/8" would work fine. My POV is that tool works harder over a longer time than the 1/2" high torque tool so theoretically would have the longest tool life. Battery life between charges might be affected but as I've done 32 lugs all removed and re-installed on just one fully charged battery the 1/2" seems to not be a huge power hog. Not sure how the 3/8" version or the mid-torque would fare in the same situation.

I will add since I'm now relying more on my cordless inpacts for on-road use I'll be checking and rotating my M18 batteries that stay on the truck. I'm also using the 3/8" version a bit more in my everyday work so battery checks will be a regular thing now.

AND I'll add I'll NEVER relinquish my old 3/4" ratchet and socket--they stay on the DD van--just in case.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #18

I carry my Milwaukee cordless ratchet, M18 3/8" impact driver and drill whenever I go "Over-roading). I am not a true Overlander. I have changed tires a few times on country backroads. The cordless ratchet makes roadside repairs and modifications easy.

I owned a diesel van for several years that greatly honed my repair skills. I will never work on vehicles again without my Milwaukee power tools. The diesel and I divorced 2 years ago and I hooked up with gasser. She still likes to be pampered with Milwaukee tools.
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #19

Garage
Jumping in late to this conversation but I have a very unhealthy affliction to these red tools. I have a ton of them including several ratchets and impacts and use them every day (Vantage Optics) for extended periods with no issues. I keep the 1/2" Hi-Torque gun and 4ah battery in the van at all times and pack up my Milwaukee Packout gear with a ton of useful cordless and hand tool items including a Hackzall for those trails that require some trimming to get through. These tools have more than paid for themselves both in the van and in the real world!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Attached Thumbnails
20200303_194642.jpg   20200303_194238.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Jumping in late to this conversation but I have a very unhealthy affliction to these red tools. I have a ton of them including several ratchets and impacts and use them every day (Vantage Optics) for extended periods with no issues. I keep the 1/2" Hi-Torque gun and 4ah battery in the van at all times and pack up my Milwaukee Packout gear with a ton of useful cordless and hand tool items including a Hackzall for those trails that require some trimming to get through. These tools have more than paid for themselves both in the van and in the real world!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Have been looking into the Packout system for storing parts/tools in the van, with their newish floor/wall mount it could be a really good way to keep things organized and from moving around in the back. Seen lots of good reviews online about the system, just need to start measuring to see where best to mount it.
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote