Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Cordless Impact Guns

Not sure I've posted about a new love for Milwaukee-brand cordless tools but after this weekend its a love so deep the current girlfriend is "concerned" about me!

Specifically their M18 volt impact guns are amazing, battery life is beyond "useful" and the power simply astounding. I had occasion to remove, lightly oil and retorque all 32 lug nuts on my 2005 E-350 extended body. I fully charged three M18 batteries, not knowing how quickly they'd last on this chore. I was using the 2767-20 hi-torque 1/2" friction ring tool, a 140 Ft/Lbs torque stick and dedicated torque wrench to assure the correct setting was achieved. For the most part the torque stick is spot on.

This impact tool has a torque mode that allows the tool to initially produce its full torque removing a fastener---full speed available via the trigger. When the tool senses a loosened fastener it slows down considerably no matter where the trigger is set. In the case of lug nuts this mode keeps them from flying away when they're completely free of the wheel stud.

After lightly applying 3-in-1 "light machine oil" to the studs and a dab inside the lug nuts I changed tool modes for max torque (1,400 ft/lbs ) and using the torque stick lugs were set. As I said I did verify the correct torque and it was right on 140 ft/lbs.

The battery I used still has all 4 "fuel gauge" bars showing which is another astounding quality---after R&I'ing 32 lug nuts.

In addition to that behemoth 1/2" 2767 I have the 3/8" (#2754) version which is equally amazing for its size. It will remove the lug nuts but takes a bit longer to break them free. It wasn't use for this project so I have no idea what real final torque it will deliver------claims of up to 210 Ft/lbs are made.

I bring this up now because for a pack and go tool that has amazing battery life when just sitting they're infinitely handy for tire swaps etc. They're also "small" and stow very well, taking no more space than conventional tire tools. Mine tend to ride under the fixed base factory seat up front in a tool pouch that includes the deep well socket, 5" impact extension and torque stick.

Along with the Hummer jack and adapters many of us carry these days an impact might be the perfect tool for highway tire work. I'm a true Miwaukee fanboi but honestly most any 18 VDC tool would probably work just fine.

Something to think about perhaps......................

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #2

I've got the first gen M18 mid-torque 3/8" and high-torque 1/2" in my garage and will definitely be purchasing one of the new Gen3s for keeping in the van full time. I've had both impacts for over a year now with small jobs here and there along with several tire changes, and I still have yet to have to charge the batteries. I've also been eyeing the 90 degree impact for those tight spaces doing brake or suspension work. I've been happy with all the Milwaukee stuff I've bought, which is good because you definitely get sucked into one battery ecosystem since those are the most expensive part of the tool.
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
I've got the first gen M18 mid-torque 3/8" and high-torque 1/2" in my garage and will definitely be purchasing one of the new Gen3s for keeping in the van full time. I've had both impacts for over a year now with small jobs here and there along with several tire changes, and I still have yet to have to charge the batteries. I've also been eyeing the 90 degree impact for those tight spaces doing brake or suspension work. I've been happy with all the Milwaukee stuff I've bought, which is good because you definitely get sucked into one battery ecosystem since those are the most expensive part of the tool.
Good tools----'course you already know that! Tasks like swapping tires are just so much easier---I imagine having to do it along side a freeway where time would be might important---hate being a sitting duck for too long a time.

I love your "battery ecosystem" analogy as that's 100% spot on---they are the steepest investment in any cordless tool system I'm almost embarrassed to say how many tools, batteries and chargers I own and use, even have one or two of the older Ni-Cd 12 volt caulking guns used most every day for work---those have been out of product 10+ years, still banging away without breaking a sweat!

I think I'll be buying one of the 3/8" versions for the girlfriends Toyota 4Runner. I've taught to change her own flat tires but also bought the AAA card so she doesn't have to do that. She watched and kinda learned to use the 1/2" this past weekend so has a good working knowledge how to use one. (I'm looking for better light weight jack she can use BUT still stress she just call AAA if I'm not close enough. She drives about 130 miles one way visiting home every month or so and I get concerned--she's already rolled another 4Runner twice so she has a history of pushing the envelope. )

I've turned a few of my friends into Milwaukee fans---the curse and thank me simultaneously. Recently bought one of the 18 ga brad nailers for a friend---those are just soooooo cool I honestly wish I had a real bonafide reason to own one.

Some of the 90 degree impacts are just crazy powerful although I don't have a real need for those----not at the moment anyway. One thing I love about the Milwaukee powered ratchets is they're actual ratchets with a variable speed switch. If we encounter something they can't break loose use them like a hand ratchet until the motor torque can do its job.

I'm still using the older Milwaukee 12 volt Ni-Cd tools, most notably their powered caulking guns now out of production 10+ years. I've learned how to repair them DIY with factory parts from eReplacementparts.com. Of course I own 12 of them so am pretty well set for a while.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #4

Garage
I first became a Milwaukee tool fan when I was working at a golf course. We had the 28v tools, recip saw, 1/2” impact, drill/driver. They were used daily from repairing irrigation and working on mowers. That impact was a beast!

I may need to look into the m18 impact for my personal garage.
LARufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 PM   #5

Speaking of impacts and battery ecosystem, I just picked up a M18 fuel chainsaw and looking to get one of their impacts, so I’d love to hear your recommendation which model I should buy.

Mid torque, high torque?
Ping detention, or ring?
Sounds like there’s a couple of generations out there, so is there anything I should be looking for?

It will live in our Ford Transit and will be used for tire change overs, trail tire changes/repairs, and whatever else it can be called upon.

Thanks.
WanderingBison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBison View Post
which model I should buy.

Mid torque, high torque?
Ping detention, or ring?
Sounds like there’s a couple of generations out there, so is there anything I should be looking for?
I go for the higher power only because I want the versatility that offers---anything "less" is limited. If you're working exclusively in a fixed location shop having different or dedicated tools for certain jobs is easy to do.

The friction ring is the "normal" configuration because we' want NOT having to depress the pin every time we change a socket etc. The pin is a good idea in some instances just not for us DIY's who can do without that feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBison View Post
It will live in our Ford Transit and will be used for tire change overs, trail tire changes/repairs, and whatever else it can be called upon.

Thanks.
All 15 or so of my Milwaukee cordless tools live full time in my van but its not much more than a rubber-tired toolbox. One thing having me continually recommending Milwaukee tools is the insane long life the batteries continually provide. I have to make an effort to wade though my arsenal and check charge level now and again---maybe every 2-3 months. Of course I carry 12 VDC chargers for all three of my batteries, the NiCd as well as the M12 and M18 series (combination charger.)

If you'll have one of the impacts tagging along each trip your check list would include checking the battery charge levels. Doing that you'd have no real need to have one of the newer Milwaukee chargers on-board unless spending another $100 or so on a (hopefully) seldom-used tool isn't an issue.

I'm editing a few photos showing what I carry and the physical size of my two on-board always impact guns. I'll update this thread with a link to Imgur or post them directly here on SMB.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
JWA

Posting a photo showing the smaller #2754 3/8" drive tool literally laying on top of the 1/2" drive #2767 tool, green outline of the #2754:

More photos of these two tools here:

https://imgur.com/a/4SnlmGo

I hope these are helpful.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #8

Awesome info! Thank you.

Yes, I have a 12v Dewalt charger that will be replaced when I’ve fully changed over (I will have both systems side by side for a bit) and I love the USB/12v power blocks that run off of those batteries.

The 5ah M18 that came with the chainsaw should also be able to provide a few evenings of in camp lighting [emoji6]
WanderingBison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #9

The great thing about Milwaukee is their innovation of new tools they add to their product lines. That and their quality put them on a different level.

A couple of the go to tools I use a lot. A battery powered heat gun, it works so well I rarely put out the plug in model. A soldering iron if perfect for those times that I need it. And the little 12 volt installation drill/driver with its offset, and right angle adapters fill the gap that their larger units can't do.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
The great thing about Milwaukee is their innovation of new tools they add to their product lines. That and their quality put them on a different level.

A couple of the go to tools I use a lot. A battery powered heat gun, it works so well I rarely put out the plug in model. A soldering iron if perfect for those times that I need it. And the little 12 volt installation drill/driver with its offset, and right angle adapters fill the gap that their larger units can't do.

Been away a few days, wanted to re-visit this thread and now for good reason---Scalf77 has two Milwaukee tools I've long considered but never (yet) let follow me home.

The M12 soldering iron and M18 heat gun are vastly interesting for their portability and assumed usefulness. The only real "need" for the heat gun is in my glass business that occasionally finds me warming a windshield so a 3M VHB tape will adhere---that's some temperature picky material.

I'll never fully relinquish or eliminate my corded Milwaukee heat guns but for quicky jobs the cordless would be idea.

Soldering iron would allow me to keep the Weller gear inside while working in the drive way on different wiring projects. Being very particular about soldering irons I'd be curious how it performs AND what brand of tips does it accept? (I've lost count of the dollars and number of Weller tips I've bought to accommodate different jobs. )

I do have the Milwaukee 2505-20 Installation/Driver multi-head tool---one very useful tool in the right circumstance. Add in the dandy soft sided compartment carry case and its a handy man's dream. (I use the carry case to house my M- 18 #2767 1/2" monster impact---perfect fit with the partitions removed. )

Looking forward to any comments or ideas!