Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Cover Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm curious to know; is anyone else annoyed at how quickly their rig gets dirty while just sitting outside? (I assume the vast majority are parked outside) Within a week of a wash it's filthy again. There's no way I would hassle with a full van cover, but does anyone have a suggestion (or care??)?

Thank you,
Andy

awiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
I don't really care about dirt much, I just spray it off but would prefer to be parked out of the direct sunlight. Trees that put out a sappy mist or where birds dive bomb your vehicle can also be a problem. I share your views on dealing with a cover and if I needed to I'd look at a carport structure.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. I too don't like the direct sunlight and look for shade (but not under a tree!) whenever possible.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #4

Garage
We just moved and parking is now under trees. I’ve cleaned the roof more in 2 months than the last 3 years I think. Leaves fall and leave stains.

Agree a full cover is too much as is a fabric carport where we live in military housing.

Need a cover for just the roof really, like there are for motorcycles. Like a bikini cover maybe...

Something like this would be nice though:
https://www.amazon.com/ADVANCE-OUTDO...s%2C137&sr=8-6
Old 08-31-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

I live in coastal socal, so there's no space for such a car port. I'm mainly concerned with the hood and windshield, since I don't see the roof and I know it already looks terrible since it's so hard to wash. The hood in particular gets condensation, then dust/dirt/bird poo/etc., then baked by the sun. I suppose that's how paint jobs start looking like crap.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:26 AM   #6

Garage
I know you can buy windshield covers. California Car Cover sells one:
https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...eld-cover/1664

As does the Sportsmobile Store for much more:
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/windshield-screen/

Haven't seen one for the windshield and hood. One could add an extension to the windshield cover.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

I hadn't seen the sportsmobile cover, thanks! (But wow is that expensive!)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #8

Picked this up at camping world website and it does the job. Full Aluminess, rack boxes and all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4289.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	35443
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiggin2 View Post
Hi all,

I'm curious to know; is anyone else annoyed at how quickly their rig gets dirty while just sitting outside? (I assume the vast majority are parked outside) Within a week of a wash it's filthy again. There's no way I would hassle with a full van cover, but does anyone have a suggestion (or care??)?

Thank you,
Andy
I'm in the same part of the country, Orange County, a bit north of you, and have had to park our newly purchased in 2013 van in the driveway the past 7 years. I got a similar car cover as pictured above, but due to the effort required, don't use it often. What has worked for me is this (more in line with protecting and preserving the paint job, and it does not eliminate the necessity of washing off the dirt):

Wash the vehicle, and perform clay bar treatment to remove embedded microscopic particles in the surface finish. Then apply Klasse All-In-One followed by Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. Each of these products forms a transparent acrylic layer on top of the clear coat which protects it from the elements, including UV. More to the point, the acrylic is extremely slick and durable, so dirt, bug droppings, etc. do not readily stick to it, including if it's applied to glass. So washing is relatively easy. The whole initial surface prep and application process takes the better part of a day, but it lasts up to a year. I do this to both the van and our outside parked 8 year old sedan and they look new.

As for the exposed black rubber components, 303 Protectant keeps those areas flexible and looking fresh.

There is a full roof rack over the pop top, so the latter just gets a pressure rinse. I applied a marine wax on the fiberglass several years ago as a protectant and it seems to be holding up well.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #10

Wow, thanks Jack! I'll try that next time. For now I'm using a large Tyvek sheet and magnets to cover the hood, windshield, grill, and front roof.