Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

DIY Dog Bed for drivers seat

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	37237
Living long term in a Sportsmobile is tight quarters enough for two people, but adding a dog to the mix ups the game. Which is why it seems so many full time RVers own little lapdogs I guess. But what about those of us who have a bigger hound? This post shows my DIY solution to help keep our pooch Calli out from underfoot on the floor while in camp. Especially in the winter when she doesn’t want to be outside all night. Plus, she now has such a comfy bed that she doesn’t covet OUR sleeping spot.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	37238
The bed frame is made from 11/16” plywood. A little thinner and lighter would probably have been fine, but I used a scrap I had in stock. The convoluted shape is what was needed to fit into the console and between the seats in our 2010 Ford E-350 SMB. Different consoles and seats will require a different pattern. I am not a good enough draftsman/measurer/carpenter to be able to cut out such a thing just from a set of measurements. Instead, I am a big fan of first making a cardboard pattern for such projects, and once I get a bunch of pieces of cardboard cut and taped into the desired shape I then trace it out on plywood and saw away.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	37239
The zigzag cuts outlined in red were made so that the dog bed could be put in place fitting around the seatbelt latch when the passenger seat is facing forward. But it turned out we never use it that way, so the fancy cutting wasn’t necessary. Unfortunately, cutting out that part of the plywood left sharper corners which dug into the passenger seat, so I screwed some plastic tubing over the corners for protection.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	37240
The small piece of 2”x4” wood (outlined in yellow) acts as a spacer to help keep the plywood frame level.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	37241
The bed upholstery came from a $1 blanket at the thrift store. I wanted something cozy for the hound of course, but also something heavy duty and easy to keep clean. I sewed Velcro into the edges of the blanket outlined in green, so that the inner padding can be easily removed when washing the cover.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	37242
For the bed padding I used a scrap piece of memory foam I got off the free pile when some neighbors moved. We do a lot of winter camping when it drops down to as low as 0°F outside. To conserve the battery we don’t run the furnace at night, and with just our body heat the interior stays above freezing. However, memory foam gets damn stiff and hard at such temperatures. As many DIY threads on this SMB forum have noted, memory foam is a poor choice for humans when it is cold. But hey, our Lab is happy to curl up in snow, or break through ice to go swimming, so she seems fine with it.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	37243
As shown in this side view, I taped a few layers of blue foam (outlined in orange) to the underside. This sits to the left of the plywood on top of the left side of the driver’s seat when in place. Otherwise the bed has a ledge in the middle, which might have been uncomfortable for Calli. But I doubt she really would have cared.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	37244
Underside view. I mounted a 1”x2” board on a hinge underneath. This leg gives keeps the whole thing rigid when in place. Otherwise when Calli, or a human, sits on the edge of the bed it will cause the passenger seat to sag down, making the whole bed tilt.

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	37245
This tilting was exacerbated by the cuts (shown in red) I made to fit the board around the seat belts if the seat is in the forward facing position, as mentioned earlier. Had these cuts not been made there would have been more plywood in contact with the passenger seat, and perhaps the folding leg would not have been needed. But I still think the leg is worthwhile. Maybe. Think it though when you make yours to fit your rig.
I put a little latch (shown in purple) to hold the leg in place when it gets put away.

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	37246
Installed and in place. This bed is a good fit for our dog, but Calli is a smallish Lab, weighing 55 pounds. It is long enough for her to stretch out, as seen in the first photo. But if you have a smaller dog, you could reduce the size of the bed without them complaining I’ll bet.

lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #2

Awww what a cute pup! Can we see more photos of her? .

I might have to do something similar, right now we just haul our dog bed with us but it needs to moved around a lot when all of us are in the van at the same time.

To be able to have the bed not on the floor would likely help a lot, our pup mediumish, around 55 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-2776.jpg  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Garage
Yep, cute dog and great photo. I like the bed, made something similar.

I made an aluminum legged wood platform for use between the front seats. It is also shaped to fit the area available. It fills the space between the seats like ichucar’s and is hinged longitudinally so I can lift half to swivel the passenger seat. Padded and covered with rubber backed carpet. Then I cover that with a bath mat and towel. I can store things under it and I use ratchet straps to secure it to hooks I installed on the seat bolts so I can remove it.

Here is my dog in her normal spot, now we don't have to fight about who sits in the passenger seat because my dog Veeta thinks that seat belongs to her.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post

I might have to do something similar, right now we just haul our dog bed with us but it needs to moved around a lot when all of us are in the van at the same time.

To be able to have the bed not on the floor would likely help a lot, our pup mediumish, around 55 pounds.

Sure Cyrull, happy to oblige with another Calli pic.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	37248
Calli has been complaining about the hard steering wheel/headrest. But I haven’t made a soft cover for her. Yet. On problem with the front drivers seat dog bed is that she sometimes leans against the horn button while shifting around in the middle of the night. That is always a real wake-up call!
Old 12-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post

And Cyrull, if you want to see even more Calli photos, check out the thread I started a couple days ago. It is in this same category.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...eak-27498.html
Old 12-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks! I am certainly going to incorporate that windbreak when we get our Transit. We haven't had a lot of issues with high wind yet.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #7

Garage
My dog just blows his whole coat when the diesel starts and fills all cavities with dog hair. Who needs a dog bed then.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #8

Dog bed

We had the same issue. I made a removeable cushion between the two captains chairs.

I took two pieces of ~24x24x8" foam rubber and glued them together, then with a hole saw and grinder, made a hole for the Atlas shifters. Then made a cover with zipper out of canvas. This effectively makes it a bench seat, the pup sits in the middle while driving and can sleep/stretch out at camp.

We have to pull it off when shifting to 4x4, most of the time thats 4H, so we pull it shift, then pop it back down. Works pretty well.
rroberts76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #9

Great detail posting. We built a padded top box that fits between the front two seats at the same height as the seats which we use for storage and slide out to turn passenger seat around and then slide back. Put doggie bed on top for night/sleeping. Had to make cut out to accommodate 4x4 shifter.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote