Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #1

Dual Swing Out Hitch Rack - Westcott Designs

As I continue my search for external fuel and tire carrier option I stumbled upon this group:

https://westcottdesigns.net/product/...er-work-table/

Initially I was set on the Hitchgate Max ($1300), while this one is a bit pricier ($1770) I like the design significantly more.

Anyone ever heard of them? I think they were at Expo last year.

If they can reverse the swing outs so the kitchen/table goes to my passenger side that would be a great outdoor camp setup for us.

I like how everything is lower to the ground and the versatility of being able to put storage boxes or Jerry cans on the strap down tray.

Two things I didn't like/are of concern. In the older videos (2019) they show a threaded release for the swings out, I can see this getting very annoying over time. I wonder if they have considered a quick release option.

The tire holder, are there any concerns with the tire resting on the two pegs over a extended period of time? I like the quick and easy use of the strap but someone is going to walk away with my full size spare. Would likely need to chain it down to prevent theft.

PS. Look at that BBQ option, pretty cool.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200113_085720889_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200106_114137941_HDR.jpg   tail-gate-rack-02.jpg   IMG_6849.jpg  

Old 05-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #2

Says it has TWO stainless bottle openers. SOLD!

Looks really nice though. Would be good for people who daily drive their vans and don't necessarily want to haul all that gear around all the time.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #3

I know right? It’s the little things. On the last picture, that round silver piece between the cooler and drop down table is where the bottle opener is.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

My biggest concern would be the entire load is carried by a single receiver hitch. Not so much the weight, but the moment-arm of that weight being carried a fair distance away from the hitch. Any play in that rack inserted into the hitch is going to provide a lot of force.

I know a few people have added additional hitches (one to drivers side and one to passenger side) that they've used to carry high weight, high moment loads, and that would make me feel a lot better about this setup.

Herb
Old 05-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #5

I get what you mean Herb. I've seen others modify their rear bumpers for a 2 hitch option, but those who did that usually carry a moto on the back.

If you dig deeper on the website, when the two arms swing open and lock, they actually advertise a "hammock option" which I was weary off especially if it was already fully loaded.

Unfortunately this product or company looks pretty new (2019) so there doesn't seem to be many reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Hammock_Single_Nest_Eno01.jpg  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #6

How can that even be legal with tail light blocking???
Old 05-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #7

Carrying a spare tire at all times seems like a no brainer. Carrying the other stuff for trips can be unloaded. How about an aluminess tire carrier and a swing away hitch mounted rack?

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame
Old 05-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Carrying a spare tire at all times seems like a no brainer. Carrying the other stuff for trips can be unloaded. How about an aluminess tire carrier and a swing away hitch mounted rack?

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame
I actually wanted to carry two, I have a full size in the original spot.

Do you think the swing away's will hold up to abuse? I'm worried about all the bouncing and shaking as we predominately travel on back country roads. It would mostly be for extra fuel.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #9

It looks like this system only uses 1" bearings for the pivots. Long-term, this might fatigue and break off, if that's the case. That's what happened to my original Reunel. My new bumper uses 2" tapered roller bearing.

I see the appeal of the lower-riding design for many SUVs, but many vans can use every bit of departure angle they can get.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I actually wanted to carry two, I have a full size in the original spot.

Do you think the swing away's will hold up to abuse? I'm worried about all the bouncing and shaking as we predominately travel on back country roads. It would mostly be for extra fuel.
By original spot, do you mean you have one on an Aluminess carrier on the driver side door? If so, why not install the Wilco Offroad Hitchswing and put another Aluminess tire carrier on the passenger side door? I really like being able to swing my platform over to the awning area for cooking, etc.