Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #1

Dual Zone refrigerators

Thinking about buying a Dometic CFX3 75 Duel zone refer. as an accessory for my E350 and wondering if anyone has experience with other brands that are usually a lot less expensive than the Dometic. Thanks

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

I considering replacing my original 16 yr old Norcold reeferator when it dies with a Dometic CFX3-95 and then installing their slide rails to so it could be pulled out for access and pushed in and locked for traveling. Pluses: I like the idea of separate thermostats and compressors so that you could use one or both compartment as either a freezer or a traditional fridge. I like the idea of loading foodstuffs from the top versus the traditional swinging door of the Norcold. Also could be used as a makeshift seat when pulled out it and as an extra step for climbing up to the penthouse. Minuses: would require reworking the SMB cabinet. Also I’d lose the finished SMB ‘look’. In other words it would look like an add-on and might look like a sore thumb.

Still mulling this over but not urgent since Norcold is still working albeit noisy. I did a quick search on this forum and couldn’t find anyone who’s integrated one of these into their SMB cabinets. The ones that use them as stand alone units all sound generally happy with CFX3-75s and the 95s.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #3

If you are going to pick one up right now, REI has a 20% off coupon for members and a $100 gift card (that has to be used during a short period in December). I think this is about the biggest discount on Dometic fridges that I've seen.

I was looking at picking up a CFX3 45, but reading the CFX3 Mega Thread over at ExPo is making me reconsider. I can't tell if the CFX3 line really is having that many issues, or if it's a classic case of unhappy customers being the loudest.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
KDB

Ive got a snomast dual zone. Works incredibly well and sips power. Refrigerators are not where id choose to save a few bucks but that's just me.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #5

I have a three year old Domestic CFF45 for a fridge and just added a CFF35 for a freezer in my 'garage'. With the short van I couldn't figure out where to put a big dual zone when I did my build a few years ago. The CFF35 is exactly the same dimensions as the 19 gallon storage tubs I use for gear so adding it was easy. My only complaint is that the thermostat on the CFF45 isn't accurate and I have to set it 12 degrees below the desired temp but other than that it's been a reliable unit.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #6

KDB fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
Ive got a snomast dual zone. Works incredibly well and sips power. Refrigerators are not where id choose to save a few bucks but that's just me.
KDB- where do you have your Snowmast located in the van?
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #7

I have the cfx 2 75 DZ, I've been abusing it for 6 years, sometimes fully on for months at a time, sometimes off. Full-timing living for about 1.5 years, it's never ever let me down.
If I did it again, I wouldn't get the DZ, I always use the two zones at the same temp, In general, they're not very good at making ice, but keeping things cold is where they shine and having the separation adds a few inches in length that could be inner volume instead.
Veggies and beer use a lot of space so the more you can get the better... my $0.02.
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #8

One thing to notice, I also have their first slide, it sucks massively. Squeaks like 12 ducks in the back. I got the DFG offroad, fully aluminum. Haven't installed it yet but it looks way better built
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #9

I've had a CFX 95 for a couple of years or around when they first came out. Its been great and never failed. No complaints.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote