Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #1

Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Propane Water Heater Issue

Has anyone had any problems with the Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Propane Water Heater getting too hot and not being able to regulate it where it isn't scalding. I have placed a Big Kahuna 13 gallon shower container, a propane tank and the Eccotemp L5 water heater in/on a removable storage box. The Eccotemp is mounted on the outside of the box and can be removed if I elect to. I use the electric pump and shower spray handle of the Big Kahuna.

When in use, the water gets so hot that you can scald yourself. When you cut the water to "maximum" and the propane regulator to "minimum" it still is scalding hot. (This is the setting Eccotemp suggests for the lowest heat setting). Any ideas? I'm wondering if the Big Kahuna's electric water pump is not getting enough water pressure through the Eccotemp.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Propane Water Heater Issue

Hello Chopperguy,

I cannot help you to solve the issue but could you plubish some pictures of your installation? It's very interesting for me... Thanks !
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

Nothing fancy. I know everyone has their own needs and own tastes. For me, I used the van to carry some of my wood work power tools and equipment, do a lot of motorcycle events, etc. So each trip may have differing needs. Accordingly, I need to be able to completely remove things from the van depending on the purpose of the trip. Here are a few pics of the status of the shower. I cut a hole in the top for easy access to the Big Kahuna top opening. I will be cutting a smaller hole in the top for me to get to the propane valve without having to open the top. Also, I'll be putting up a tri-fold shower curtain that will be affixed to one of the side doors. When both doors are open the tri-fold rod will make a "U" shape (with corners) with the shower curtain already affixed to the rod. We will then just shower between the two doors.

Started off buying a removable storage container from Lowes. This holds my propane tank and Big Kahuna 13 gallon shower container.

Put a groumet on the front center of the container to hold the Eccotemp unit. This way it can be removed or left in place. Also, I put it at the door so I don't have a build up of fumes.

I'll end up putting a hanger for the nozzle. This is the unit as it is at this juncture. Can remove with ease for whatever needs I have.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

Garage

Thank you ! It's well done. Hope you will fin an answer to your issue...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #5

These beasts work by varying flow rather than heat output. I would guess that you are just not getting enough flow. The water flows through a heat exchanger and the slower it goes, the hotter it gets. You might call the manuf. and ask them what the recommended flow rate is and then measure the output from your set up. Looks good though.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #6

The instructions on the Big Kahuna says it's water pump produces 400 GPH. That sounds like a misprint, but that's what it say. Called Eccotemp and they think it may be the spray nozzle I'm using may not release enough water. I'll be experimenting today to get it resolved. Will update later.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Love the L5 works great for me.
I use a shure flow water pump and standard shower handel from a 20 gallon water tank.
DIG
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

Okay...here's the problem. The water pump was more than enough. Apparently, the spray nozzle was not releasing enough water to push the water out of the heater unit thus making it scalding hot. Bought me a sink sprayer today for $12.00. That should resolve the problem yet give me a quick squeeze of the handle to squirt a steady stream of hot, cold or medium water on demand!