Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #21

Porky's will chew through plastic snow fencing, so I think it's gotta be metal. Ditto for marmots I'd expect, although it's the porky's I had issues with (we have to use it in lotsa places in BC or west AB).

The electric fence does seem like an interesting idea though. I've read that the all-hot, earth return ones don't work as well in dry soil, which makes sense. There are some with mesh panels too; maybe they'd keep out small as well as large varmints. I've seen home garden ones for <$100 that work off AC. Less us know what you find.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Alas, I am feebly and deathly allergic to large fuzzy buddies. And travel too much for work... not a good combination. Appears effective, though!

Nomad... keep us posted on any research you do. I simply didn't have enough time at home to get something rigged before I left for this trip... hopefully the varmints will leave me alone for a few more nights. I had something scratching underneath a couple nights ago, but luckily my pollen death allergy kept me up all night and I ran it off, apparently. (yes... it's past time I visit an allergist).

On a different note... someone here mentioned moth balls might deter some species (mice, gophers, attractive single human females, etc.)... the camp host here where I am swears by them. Of course, I could tell that as I approached from downwind of their camp, too. I might grab some on my way to the high country in a couple days anyway... not likely to be any single attractive human females around anyway up where I will be.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Garage
Moth balls worked against skunks when I was a kid in Colorado. But that was a long time ago and I don't know if they still contain the same noxious chemicals as they did then.
Matt
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Moth balls worked against skunks when I was a kid in Colorado. But that was a long time ago and I don't know if they still contain the same noxious chemicals as they did then.
Matt
The skunks or the mothballs? Sorry...

Mothballs being rather rare on the shelves these days (moths don't go for pile clothing I guess) some of my pals now use those little fabric-y things you put in driers to prevent static cling. I'm not convinced, and it looks like their black water tank sprang a leak, but maybe.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #25

What about one of those high pitched dog "horns"? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Ad...9056558&sr=8-9. I wonder if that would keep them (as well as other critters) away?
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #26

bounce dryer sheets keep mice and rodents out of engine compartments damaging wiring. could work. had a marmot eat my backpack once in short order climbing in Colorado.
jeepn4fun69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #27
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Have heard that putting a bag of mothballs under your rig will deter. There's a large bunny population out at the Denver airport long term parking lots, they've also been populating our hood up in Boulder ever since the flood.....haven't had any issues that I can see with them chewing things up on the rig parked in front of the house, but I may try the mothball thing just in case.......Not looking to electrocute myself with my own fencing!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #28

Careful with the mothballs. I tried putting a few under the van at a campsite... the damned things stunk so bad and infiltrated the van. I gave up on them in less than a 1/2 hr and trashed them in my bumper box (which still smells a month later). Took a few days to get completely rid of the smell. Those things are nasty! (at least to my nose)
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #29

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Odd, people have been living with them in their home closets for years.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote