Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
Uh I have a good idea Just DON'T put yourself in that situation DUH
For a lot of us, challanging terain is half the fun of getting out there, and it certainly keeps the majority of other folks out of that remote campsite. Not that I'm a fan of mud, but mostly because the clean up afterwords is a pain. Yesterday I spent an hour with the pressure washer trying to remove all the mud, sand and salt from under my van, but I'll do it all over again soon though.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Hmmmm. How have I missed these?

https://www.amazon.com/TruckClaws-II.../dp/B01HFFQRLI
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Intriguing product & Video!!! The simplicity sure sucks you in! Also instills another level of confidence in the event of being stuck, especially if you're riding solo.

Amazon site also states that people bought this with the TruckClaws-II:
https://www.amazon.com/Trac-Grabber-...A3G33FCCWF790H

Same concept, but looks like they are made of some sort of poly plastic. Considerably cheaper, but I'm more inclined choose the aluminum version - really like the ratchet on the straps. Believe I just talked myself into a set. Thanks for sharing gentlemen.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #14

Garage
Received my TruckClaws-II this afternoon and tried them on for size. Took all of a minute to put each on one. I also ran them up and down each of the rear Tires just to confirm clearance between the Fender wells - about 3/4" clearance on each side ***Thats close!
Fortunately I have rear air bags, So jumped in the truck, turned air compressor on, and inflated to 45lbs - now I have 1.25" clearance.
Hope I never need them, but more confident now that I have them. Just in case, I wrote myself a note and wrapped it around one as a personal reminder to inflate the rear airbags before use - no doubt I would forget if I didnt!!!!
They are compact, well made, and sturdy. Comes with a nice little carry bag, but will have to hunt for a replacement bag since I also purchased a set of the extenders (they're too long to fit in the small bag provided).
Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Twoxentrix;223047]Received my TruckClaws-II this afternoon and tried them on for size. QUOTE]

Very nice. Now would you be kind enough to go out and get stuck so you can video how easily you get un-stuck. Thanks for taking one for the team...........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
brp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Intriguing product & Video!!! The simplicity sure sucks you in! Also instills another level of confidence in the event of being stuck, especially if you're riding solo.

Amazon site also states that people bought this with the TruckClaws-II:
https://www.amazon.com/Trac-Grabber-...A3G33FCCWF790H

Same concept, but looks like they are made of some sort of poly plastic. Considerably cheaper, but I'm more inclined choose the aluminum version - really like the ratchet on the straps. Believe I just talked myself into a set. Thanks for sharing gentlemen.
I think the Truck Claws are better than the plastic/rubber ones because they can take
an extender. If you lay a log or similar parallel to the vehicle, the extender will catch on it and actually lift the vehicle up and out of a sand/mud hole. In that scenario it’s like a jack and a traction aid in one.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #17
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
GTFO......!!
Those things are sweet. I wish I had come up with the idea, I’d be marketing the shit out of ‘em. Like you said Eric, how have I missed these, I’ve never seen them either, figured they would have found their way to overland journal and made their way around the forums. I’m gettin some, but don’t worry Mark, still want those traxxs, you can never have too much recovery gear......[emoji848]

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #18

Great idea, the aluminum extrusion shape is the key, otherwise it's something many of us here could make from commercially available components. Even though pricey, I'm in. Good old American ingenuity. Ease of installation is a real selling point.

Twoxentrix, how wide are the straps? My wheels have circular 2 1/8 inch diameter cutouts around the circumference, want to make sure there's enough clearance for the straps to go through. Also, is there a locking mechanism for the extenders? Seems otherwise they might work their way out as the wheels rotate.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #19

I'm curious how those would stack up against regular chains. Probably a bit better, but if I'm already carrying chains and a shovel, do they make sense?

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #20

I've had that thought too. Does the dollar cost of these things & storage space outweigh the sweat equity of installing chains? I tend towards overpreparedness and an affinity for hardware, so these will be an added tool to my mix.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote