Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #11

Re: everyday stuff to carry

I think an 8 amp electric could be used with a 2000w inverter. But I carry a bow saw that has both a wood blade and a hacksaw blade, for those pesky metal poles!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

this is actually an interesting thread. to the OP.
does anyone already have or has considered some type of emergency radio beacon?
I know boaters often have EPIRBS but not sure what land based explorers are using.

thinking about the tree blocking your path got me to thinking what if your van became immobile and hiking out for help wasn't feasible, what do you do if you need emergency help. Assuming cell coverage isn't an option. There are a whole lot of scenarios I can think of where you can get into deep poop quickly and getting outside help will ensure your survival. Maybe this was already discussed on another thread but sure seems like good insurance to me. Of course you might be on the hook for the cost of your search and rescue. Your thoughts?

wiki link discussing distress radiobeacons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #13

Thanks for the thumbs up on the OP. And yes, we have a Spot beacon that goes on every trip. It's capable of sending 3 prerecorded emails:

1. OK, "Having a wonderful time, wish you were here." Lat, Lon

2. Help, I'm in some sort of difficulty but not grave danger. Lat, Lon

3. 911 - Send rescue agency. Lat, Lon

Messages 1 & 2 go to your home base or company HQ. Your personal support system.
Message 3 goes direct to closest emergency response unit. Worldwide.

Each message contains a link to Google Maps and the unit can also send message 1 as a continuous track, updated every few minutes.

I think everyone who goes off the pavement should carry one. Unfortunately that means that every moron who goes off the pavement will have one. The 911 function is getting so overused for trivial reasons that is will soon carry about the same urgency as a car alarm in Detroit.

Even so, the "I'm OK" function alone is worth it to be able to check at home each day when out of cell phone range. And everybody knows that if you're not out of cell phone range, you're not using you SMB correctly
Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #14

...Insert jage's sig line here....

I'm not the original poster, for some reason I thought you were referring to my tree story and a moment after hitting Submit, I realized that's most likely not the case.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
does anyone already have or has considered some type of emergency radio beacon?
I have Spot. I also recently picked up the Delorme PN60 GPS W/ Spot and it is an awesome combo!! Can send text messages and check in anywhere in the world. All sattelite based. Also send help messages and call 911 in emergency.
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...&section=10560

Also I read just recently they are coming out with an app for your phone to be able to communicate with your spot from Delorme. So that means I can send text messages etc from my phone and I don't have to use my Delorme GPS to do that. The spot is wireless. Also completely sattelite based so no need for cell phone reception.
http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/01/06/...th-satellites/
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #16

Garage

The OP mentioned backpacking. Camping (in a car or van) really doesn't need any more equipment than than backpacking - it's all about comfort and convenience. I recommend starting out with the same stuff (or type of stuff) that would be taken in a backpack. Items can then be added for comfort or convenience. Here are our comfort and convenience "must haves":

Camping items
- Real pillows and maybe even some sheets and blankets. This is the main advantage of a van!
- Slippers
- Paper towels as mentioned.
- Paper plates and bowls - reduces water usage
- Broom and dustpan
- Clothesline and clothespins (we take these backpacking too)
- Solar shower
- Coffee pot and filters
- Books to read
- Camp chairs and table as mentioned
- Tarp, Rope and bungees
- First aide kit, ace bandage
- Porta pottie

Tools
- Shovel, axe, bucket, bow saw
- Cable locks for securing things left in camp site or at night
- Basic tools - adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, pliers, hammer

Automotive items
- Maps
- Fuses, motor oil
- Fire extinguisher
- Levelling blocks (optional)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

I like the spot and it seems to be the most accurate. I would have to call the wife when it looked like I was going out of cell range to check in responding to a search and she love the 2am or 4am calls. with the spot all I needed to do was hit the ok and she got her tex message knowing I was on site and could see the area I was searching in. I have spent a week out of touch other then check ins during daylight operations and it was nice to talk about the area once we got home.

A frend had to use it a couple years ago while on a dualsport ride and it worked great for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Thanks for the thumbs up on the OP. And yes, we have a Spot beacon that goes on every trip. It's capable of sending 3 prerecorded emails:

1. OK, "Having a wonderful time, wish you were here." Lat, Lon

2. Help, I'm in some sort of difficulty but not grave danger. Lat, Lon

3. 911 - Send rescue agency. Lat, Lon

Messages 1 & 2 go to your home base or company HQ. Your personal support system.
Message 3 goes direct to closest emergency response unit. Worldwide.

Each message contains a link to Google Maps and the unit can also send message 1 as a continuous track, updated every few minutes.

I think everyone who goes off the pavement should carry one. Unfortunately that means that every moron who goes off the pavement will have one. The 911 function is getting so overused for trivial reasons that is will soon carry about the same urgency as a car alarm in Detroit.

Even so, the "I'm OK" function alone is worth it to be able to check at home each day when out of cell phone range. And everybody knows that if you're not out of cell phone range, you're not using you SMB correctly

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
...Insert jage's sig line here....

I'm not the original poster, for some reason I thought you were referring to my tree story and a moment after hitting Submit, I realized that's most likely not the case.
yeah, you had me confused by that but I thought it might have been my medication
no worries. I should have given you extra points for raising that issue on getting stranded so I'm going to give you two thumbs up and a frosty salute
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #19

Spot users, thanks for the input on this type of device. Very interesting.
In doing a quick search on Spot and Delorme, I found this link that has a nice paragraph about SPOT vs a PLB. Cut and pasted below. Link http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/15 ... gwod_i9unQ
maybe this topic should on a separate thread. sorry about hijacking the original topic but it's kind of related, right?

SPOT vs. Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs):

SPOT and PLBs have similar features at first glance, and it’s easy to get confused between the two. But both devices work very differently, and it’s important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of both.

* The SPOT is designed to be a messenger first and foremost, so it is much smaller and has many more options for communicating than a PLB. It is not just an emergency device. SPOT also uses a different satellite system than PLBs, so some rugged terrain can interfere with SPOT transmissions. SPOT users must have an annual service plan.
* A PLB is primarily a life-saving device, and uses a higher-power transmitter and has a much longer battery life. PLBs do not require a subscription for emergency use, although some newer PLBs have non-emergency messaging options that may require a subscription. Most PLBs also transmit on 121.5 Mhz, so search and rescue forces can use the device as a homing beacon. PLBs generally cost more than SPOT.

In the end, different pilots have different needs. If you’re looking for a handy device to track your flights and update family and friends, the SPOT is one-of-a-kind tool. If you’re looking for an emergency transmitter to alert search and rescue forces anywhere in the world, in any terrain, a PLB is the reliable choice.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
I am carrying a chainsaw along for those pesky trees.
good idea but having oil and gas around the van is kind of messy.
Being that a chainsaw will be used very little, and a premixed sealed can of fuel is available from your Stihl store, there is no mess or smell to deal with.
My QuadVan storage box is huge and eats up most all my tools including the chainsaw, axe & saw, snow chains, etc.

A chainsaw can also be used to clear branches of a narrow trail, not just downed timber.
Big tree? Cut it & winch it out of the way.

There is a member on this board (I forget who) who had to turn around due to a fallen tree blocking a trail. I vowed that not to happen to me.

Now I will turn around at narrow ledges!!
My van is a huge pig for tight trails...