Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #1

Fiamma vs...Thule or Yakima? 270?

I know the fiamma f45 is the bees knees.
Does anyone know how the Thule or Yakima awnings compare?

Or...any of the 270 degree awning? They seem like a cool idea, but don't seem to have much of a following with vanners. (is that word?)

And, importantly, do Ray's brackets work with any of the above?

MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #2

I really like my Fiamma, easy to use and good coverage. The idea of a 270 is appealing but I carry bikes/kids kayaks above the rear Aluminess box and would have to unload those items in order to deploy the 270 which is a major drawback for me.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

The real benefit of the Fiamma (in my opinion) is the fact that you can crank the awning out and in vs. unrolling and rolling up the material. With the Fiamma, you can also install the foot pegs to the body of your van and insert the rods there and not need the guy lines to stabilize it.

I had an awning on my tent trailer that was basically like the thule and other similar brands and it was a bit of a pain to put away. The guy lines are tripping hazards and I ended up only setting it up the one time because I didn't want to deal with it.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

The Fiamma is a one person deployment in about 45 seconds - as long as you can reach it. Goes back in just as fast. easy enough that one might pull it out to eat lunch under when on the road (stopped of course ). IMO the only way to go and worth the extra $.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #5

The reason the simpler roll out style awnings aren't as big with vans has mostly to do with length. The longest available barely covers from the B pillar back to the corner on an RB van. I am a big fan of the Rhino Rack 270 (Batwing/Foxwing/Chickenwing/whatever) but the same problem goes for them. If it fits for your van the Rhino Rack product is about the best out there for a manual deploy awning. I've had nearly every brand.

I can set up and take down in about 30 seconds with just me but wouldn't want to try it in the wind. I should say I'm not using it on a van. I've had a Batwing on a Jeep and a few pick up trucks. They also work great for any smaller van.

It also comes with extra parts for common failure points, mounts, etc. I could go on and on about their quality vs. the other ones I've had.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

Thule hideaway?

I see what you guys are saying about length and crank-out deployment. Anyone know anything about the Thule Hideaway? Looks a lot like the fiamma - comes in 10x8 and cranks out.

It’s similarly priced as well. I would just spring for the tried and true fiamma, but I can get the Thule at a significant discount, so if it’s similar in function and quality, i’d love to save a couple hundred bucks.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...deo-23882.html

Otter had posted this awhile back. Not sure if he had any additional feedback now that's hes used it more
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

Go with the Thule Hideaway

Go with the Thule Hideaway. I've owned both in the Thule is identical for all practical purposes. When I was looking into purchasing the Thule some posts I saw on European forums indicated it was designed by the same people as the Fiamma.

I was able to get the Thule for $300 less than the SMB group buys. I bought it from Amazon including free shipping and free returns. I figured with free returns I could return it if I didn't like it. If you're willing to wait you can set up a price watch on camelcamelcamel.com and monitor the Amazon price.
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07CGYGW8T
It looks like the price was as low as $750 on July 14. That's a bit more than what I paid.

My other reason for getting the Thule a is it has a better distribution Network and I suspect it'll be easier to get parts for it. My experience with getting parts for the Fiamma was mixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg View Post
I see what you guys are saying about length and crank-out deployment. Anyone know anything about the Thule Hideaway? Looks a lot like the fiamma - comes in 10x8 and cranks out.

It’s similarly priced as well. I would just spring for the tried and true fiamma, but I can get the Thule at a significant discount, so if it’s similar in function and quality, i’d love to save a couple hundred bucks.
flgrb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly11 View Post
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...deo-23882.html

Otter had posted this awhile back. Not sure if he had any additional feedback now that's hes used it more
Folks following this will want to see our continued discussion on that thread.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #10

Yeah, I'm not sure where to reply anymore, as the conversation is going in a couple of different threads...

I appreciate your help. I really want to get the Thule as I can save 3-400 bucks on it and it sounds like it's pretty nice and maybe fairly comparable to the fiamma. But that ladder problem. Seems really silly that they set it up to deploy like that, as lots of folks have ladders in the same position.
I keep trying to envision sliding the winder up behind the ladder and spinning the handle between the rungs.
Probably a pipe dream...