Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Fiberglass or PVC mast suggestions

Anyone ever make a fiberglass or PVC mast, say 12' or so high, for use with ham or CB antennas? I'd prefer something that breaks into sections, or is telescoping. I've seen some that clamp that RVers used as flagpoles, but the prefabbed ones seem expensive compared to what you could possibly make yourself.

The antenna is an array, and would need about a 1" tube on top.

thanks,
Rob

Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Re: Fiberglass or PVC mast suggestions

PVC is pretty flexible, might be a bit wonky unless you can guy it. Filling it with x-pando-foam might stiffen it up a bit. Easy to make in sections of whatever length is convenient and slip or screw them together. Fiberglass tube would be good but not sure where you'd get it? What about wood?
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Rob you might try a marine shop and look into a rescue hook. I would say find somebody that works for an electrical utility and ask for some Lineman's hot sticks that have failed. I usually loose one or two sticks a year during high voltage testing. Within the company several will fail and many are what we call an extendo-sticks.
http://www.salisburybyhoneywell.com/en- ... sticks.pdf

Now that I think of it you also might find a fiberglass extendable tree pruner stick that might work for you.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Now that I think of it you also might find a fiberglass extendable tree pruner stick that might work for you.
That would provide a cost effective, strong mast. They take a pretty good shock load during use. Do you need an attachment or free standing?

http://coronatoolsusa.com/catalog/pruni ... runer.html
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

I use 4' sections of fiberglass military masts. The military really uses them for tent poles, but they work pretty well for 4-5 sections. When I had the SMB I would bungie them to the top and bottom of the ladder for a very solid 2m antenna mast. Attach a 2m yagi and you are in business. I do the same thing now with my jeep for public service events when I am in fringe areas. Below is a photo of the mast but it doesn't show the yagi mounted on top.

You can pick up the masts on ebay, but they are usually cheaper at hamfests and swaps.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fiberglass-mast
They make a metal ring collar at the top to attach guy ropes to. I have used them when going above 25'. They also make a fiberglass ground base. (Can't recommend that though.)

Also, if you are interested, our Ham club is doing its annual mini-dx event in July (12-14). Its a 3-day (low-key social) operating event on the Mattole river (Humboldt County) Its great if you want to get some exposure to working portable HF. Let me know if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep mast.jpg  
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Site Team

Charlie,

Going off-topic, but it looks like you got your SMB replacement vehicle. When do we get to see more of that?

Herb
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Fiberglass or PVC mast suggestions

I've seen the fiberglass extendable painters poles used as portable antenna masts. They seem to work pretty well, are relatively inexpensive and are available at the big box home improvement stores.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Ever since kiteboarding became popular you can pick up used windsurfing gear cheap at swap meets.

Just another suggestion, a 16 foot windsurfing mast (breaks down into two 8 foot sections with the smaller diameter tip sliding into the larger base section for storage) is made to handle huge winds, so may work for your application.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote