Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

Ford Aux Idle Cntrl

Anybody on here use the Ford Auxiliary Idle Control Module?

Seems like eventually it's something that I can put to good use... for now it's disconnected. (Just bought van 6 days ago, ie not built out yet)

I could see how this would work well for certain situations... ie HVAC when camped out, alternator loading, possible PTO applications down the line etc

What do you use yours for? Have you run this in the past ... a buildout or commercial application?... inquiring minds what to know

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

Garage
My van came with one, but I think it's a bottom end setup as you can't adjust it like others Ive seen. All mine does is kick up the idle and turn off/on. If it does more, I haven't figured out how. It is handy though. Works great as a warm up mechanism in the winter (I say that like a 7.3 actually warms up without driving it) and somehow it detects a load. Whenever I use my winch it knows and bumps up the rpm's. Only thing you need to do is set the ebrake to activate.

First time the device initiated it actually scared me. Bought our van in Georgia and drove straight to evergreen Colorado. It was around thanksgiving and when I went to go start it for the first time cold (below freezing) the rpm's ramped up pretty high. I think it shot up around 3k, then slowly worked its way down as it came up to temp. Dealer had shown me the device, but didn't know anything about it. Had to learn on the fly, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

I have one, I removed it. I think they're kind of useless unless you plan to run large electric loads on a regular basis. And if you do that, you're better off getting a little Honda generator and plugging in. A lot quieter, cheaper to run, and less smelly.

I keep mine in the van, so if I ever have to winch for hours, I can plug it in and set high idle. But that's about it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I use the charge control part to recharge the house battery when parked and no sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

I have heard that some people use this with the cruise control to play w/the RPMs on the open road... No wait... the only way that would work is if the from the parking brake is jumped or switched to trick the AIC and ECM into thinking the parking brake is engaged... Hmm permissives in the control system... sounds like I'm at work or something?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
I have heard that some people use this with the cruise control to play w/the RPMs on the open road... No wait... the only way that would work is if the from the parking brake is jumped or switched to trick the AIC and ECM into thinking the parking brake is engaged... Hmm permissives in the control system... sounds like I'm at work or something?
How? And why?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
How? And why?
It would appear based on my limited time w/the van (a drive from SD to WA - approx. 1600 mi including Black Hills and Devils Tower visit), the youtube video above, and what schematics came with the van on other systems... that the parking brake is a some how a permissive to the AIC unit to ramp up to the presented RPM program... ie it won't work unless the P indicator light is on. Therefore either:

A. the light works w/the ECM to to tell the AIC to function accordingly or

B. there is a switch and or relay on the P-brake that is a direct input to to the wire harness to AIC, on the van side of this harness...

I have heard this is possible to trick the Cruise Unit... After I get the C Unit in I will post about this. It could be as simple as jumping a switch that activates the P-brake light... However based upon how complicated the schematic is for the trailer harness and how many permissives are on that piece alone and that I've been working with over complicated permissive circuits at work it's got me thinking hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm -

This is something that I will be addressing in the coming weeks. Other priorities in order on the van include some small patches of rust - clear weather windows to treat, coatings, cruise control install, and redoing the 2 batteries with Optimas since I have to disconnect them to install the Cruise Control w/o detonating the airbag, and mounting a Hi Lift Jack from another vehicle, and sourcing a spare to match the wheels on the rig

Would be nice if one of the long bench seats would line up with the TP55 fastener inserts for the other benches 90 deg rotated... before I have time to put in a bed

Old 04-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

The first time I set the parking brake on my van this just about scared the crap out of me.
jblaze5779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #9

Mine has it, but needs to be turned on and activated to do anything. I use it whenever leaving the engine idling for a period of time to ensure washing of the cylinders does not happen as well as to warm the motor up. Also acts as a tach for me.
Gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote