Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #1

Front End Tow Hitch

I have a '97 E250. What do I need to do to the front end to get a tow hitch added. Called U-haul and they were unable to help.

Glippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

I installed one on my 2011 and it is super easy. Order from Curt for your model and it will have the instruction (or you can google and view the instructions online first to see if you want to tackle it). For mine it just required slightly enlarging the mounting holes on the frame, and drilling two new holes. I also had to trim the front plastic air dam just a little bit to accommodate the receiver. But its a simple job.
lmpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #3

Garage
only 2 models available when I did mine. Iirc they each have the same ratings but the curt had a couple of dedicated tow hooks, the other one didn’t. That and the curt was on sale when I was ready to buy so went that route.

Easy install as stated above, just keep in mind that if your van has a ujor 4x4 conversion I believe a front receiver isn’t an option unless you fab it up yourself or buy a bumper with one built into the bumper itself.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:57 PM   #4

Garage
Check out E-trailer.com as they usually have every option available. I have purchased several and they have all been good units.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glippie View Post
I have a '97 E250. What do I need to do to the front end to get a tow hitch added. Called U-haul and they were unable to help.

I'm pretty thrifty, and handy; I bought a used class III pickup truck hitch

at a swap meet for $20, cut the ends off, and welded the crossbar inside the factory frame rails. Oddly enough, I did this while when I lived in Napa, LOL
Old 05-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #6

I agree with Impetersen. Curt installation is super easy, less than an hour for me.
Fordx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #7

Before you get started, be sure your desired load meets the tongue weight max you can hold on the hitch.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #8

Has anyone installed a front hitch with an Aluminess front bumper? I looked under the front of my 2010 E350 and it is a bit different than a standard front bumper under there.
cthiebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #9

I got mine for my 1999 E250 from E-trailer.com. I started to put it on and got tired of laying on my back trying to fish a bolt through the frame and took it to my local garage. After putting it on his lift he got frustrated after about 20 minutes and we pulled the bumper off and it was then easy. Takes two people to take the bumper off and put back on but it is easy to do then.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
I got mine for my 1999 E250 from E-trailer.com. I started to put it on and got tired of laying on my back trying to fish a bolt through the frame and took it to my local garage. After putting it on his lift he got frustrated after about 20 minutes and we pulled the bumper off and it was then easy. Takes two people to take the bumper off and put back on but it is easy to do then.
Was there any cutting or other modification involved?
cthiebeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front end, hitch, tow