Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #1

Gear Documentation

Have you documented your gear ?
I had one of our Quigley Vans stolen some years ago that was packed with all of gear that was carried on a daily basis , tools , first aid Fly rods and reels , belts , fluids etc. We stopped to surf the Hunting Cliffs as their was a good South Swell working and didn't want to arrive at the Mexican border at mid day . After a three hour session my sons and I got out of the water only to find that we had only the Boards that we were carrying and our Trunks . This was bad enough but the real nightmare began when we realized that Boards , Wetsuits , Wallets ,Credit Cards Passports etc. for our three week trip to Rattlesnakes aka Scorpion Bay were in the Van . The reason that I posed this original question was my remembering numerous items that were in the Van ,months and even a year later that I forgot to file with my insurance company . I have always tried to keep receipts but didn't really succeed at doing so . I now photograph all items and store on a couple of discs . Hopefully this never happens to any of us but it is a reality that to this day nags at me .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #2

You're right on here Greggde. I find the best way is to lay out ALL the gear and take pictures and then write up a description. Receipts too. Bummer that happened to you. Ever get the rig back??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #3

document

Scatter ,
I got a call at 6:00 am the next morning from LA County Sheriffs and they had the Van in Their impound in Compton Ca . All that was left was a doorless shell on rollers absolutely nothing inside of Van except a half eaten Burrito and a greasy baseball cap . Six boards all camping and survival gear , custom roof rack and several Rip Curl prototype Wetsuits that my son's were to test and of course all of the previously mentioned items that I am still remembering to this day , I have been Shot , Stabbed and Rattlesnake bit two time's and still not felt as violated as when this Van was stolen !
Greggde
Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #4

We have an extensive list of items in our van just because we've been asked what we carry and where we put it. I hadn't thought about needing it for insurance purposes. I need to take some photos...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #5

Garage
Sorry to hear that Greg.

Another good idea is to tour your van with a small video camera and record all contents as you talk and describe the items and values, opening drawers and closets, etc. Make a copy of the video on CD and give it to your insurance company.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #6

Document

Scatter ,
I have been doing this since the theft along with photographs and duplicates of all receipts , Which i keep in separate places . The item that is most missed is the First Aid Kit that I brought home and continued to build upon from my days beyond the DMZ , many memories .
Greggde
Old 04-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #7

You may want to record serial numbers for more valuable items as well. My wife and I had our camp trailer borken in to in Indio, CA a couple years back and learned from the police that all pawn shops in CA must record serial numbers of pawned items. The number are then checked against a data base of seial numbers for items that have been reported stolen.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #8

Serial numbers

John and Dana ,
That is the very first thing done next is the engraving of all items which I place in a very small and difficult to remove area on the item , usually my initials if space does not allow for full name to be engraved .
Greggde
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #9

And the police told us when camera equipment and tools were stolen from our home that the fact that we'd engraved them meant they would NEVER be pawned but would instead end up at swap meets or flea markets. We spent months searching and recovered nothing. Getting ripped off is a lose-lose proposition.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #10

Re: document

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
I have been Shot , Stabbed and Rattlesnake bit two time's
Yikes, maybe you should take up stamp collecting....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote