Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

Good, reliable snow chains?

What are you folks using for snow chains? I'm in an E-350 with stock wheels and tires. Eventually I plan on getting a second spare tire and running these securely on the spares during the winter and just swapping them quickly with a jack and impact driver. I want something durable that will last a long time (or at least until I get 4x4 and will never have to use them again!)

thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

Quick fit tire chains will be many times quicker and easier than swapping wheels. I've put on chains many times, and had to change plenty of tires. I'lll taking the chains!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

Tire chains are for low speed only. On paved roads, this means that conditions would have to be pretty severe to the point where it probably would have been better to not drive... so they are like an emergency option. Better option is to have a separate set of snow tires, perhaps even studded, on their own rims and change them out when the season changes, all 4! Chains are still useful in extreme conditions on paved roads, but they are not meant to be on for the season, nor for high speed. Easy on/off chains: we use Rud. For extreme mud situations, off pavement, you may choose heavier duty.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #4

Here in California it’s a requirement to carry chains in the mountains when snowing and we have checkpoints that force them on 2wd vehicles when the slightest bit of ice is on the road. Snow tires aren’t an option for me. I hate chaining up especially in the SoCal mountains. Last time I had to do it up in Big Bear, 3 wrecks happened within 20 feet of the chain-up area because no one in SoCal knows how to drive in icy conditions. Another advantage of carrying an extra spare with chains ready to go...more weight keeping the back end down when I don’t have them on.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:01 AM   #5

Ah, I see. However, I think carringb is correct. It is easier and quicker to put on chains than to change tires. Rud chains are pretty easy. Chains are color coded, don't have to move your vehicle. Stand still, put them on, drive away... But... Check for slack, and keep speed low.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Yup CA won't exempt snow tires on rigs over 6,000 pounds while most other states the cutoff us 10,000 pounds.

Anyways... If you're going to pre-mount them, definitely get a good set of cam-lock chains. But these are all ladder-style, so the ride will be terrible. Especially in conditions where there's only a thin ice-layer, and nothing to dig into. But they also work the best in mud, and you can't break them.

But a far more civilized style are diamond pattern quick-fits. These ride smoother, and are easy to install in case you get in a situation where you can't swap wheels (which in the NW is likely because many of the chain-up areas are on a hill).https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...H01571245.html
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #7

I took Bill Burke's 4x4 class a while back & talked to him about someday doing a 4x4/recovery class specific to winter conditions & snow. He does them near his house in Colorado in January/February. He recommended these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...in/TC2533.html

I have a set for all 3 of my vehicles. They are fairly quick/easy to install, come with a carrying case, and aren't overly expensive. I've used them only a couple of times, but they worked great.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #8

Garage
^^^ Ya, these are the only ones I’ve been able to find for the 285/70/17’s. I haven’t purchased them yet because I’m still hoping to find something with a cable and easier to put on. But I’m going on two years and haven’t found anything easier so... time to break down and buy these. I hate like heck putting on chains. Thankfully haven’t had to do that in Oregon with 4WD.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #9

https://www.harriscos.com/quality-ch...e-tire-chains/

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to give these a try. Supposedly they go on really easily. They are designed for emergency vehicles so hopefully they last a few seasons. I’ll report back my findings if I end up having to use them.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I took Bill Burke's 4x4 class a while back & talked to him about someday doing a 4x4/recovery class specific to winter conditions & snow. He does them near his house in Colorado in January/February. He recommended these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...in/TC2533.html

I have a set for all 3 of my vehicles. They are fairly quick/easy to install, come with a carrying case, and aren't overly expensive. I've used them only a couple of times, but they worked great.
I had those chains when I had my Xterra and I broke the rubber bit when pulling it across the tire to attach the hook. It basically rendered the chains useless. Luckily I was near a gas station and was able to buy some tensioners to get the chains to work for me.

Right now I carry one pair of v-bar chains and one pair of Super Z6 cable chains in my van:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H...b_b_asin_title

I have a 4x4 van and haven't needed them yet so I have no idea about longevity. The weight of the van seems to make it stick to the road in most winter conditions. If there is ice I will chain up though.