Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #11

Garage
Re: GPS Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
-Stand-alone, absolutely NO cell phone or internet access required---nothing!
Our Honda Fit has GPS like that. If we want to update the maps we buy a DVD and insert it in the slot behind the screen. Maybe newer units take SD cards? Either way, it might be more convenient to get updates over a network.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
-Stand-alone, absolutely NO cell phone or internet access required---nothing!
Our Honda Fit has GPS like that. If we want to update the maps we buy a DVD and insert it in the slot behind the screen. Maybe newer units take SD cards? Either way, it might be more convenient to get updates over a network.
Always check the cost of upgrades with built-in units. Our SMB had a built in Kenwood (I think), which cost something like $475 for a set of updated maps on DVD. That was 5-ish years ago.

Herb
Old 08-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I think one issue is ease of use. I have a tablet, a PC, and a Garmin. So far I leave the Garmin in place and don't seem to have an issue with someone busting out a window for it...they're inexpensive but a crankster might bust a window for a box of candy so I guess it depends. My work truck sits on the street and I'm constantly hauling my Toughbook in and out after every call. It's a thieves target and I'm asking for trouble leaving a computer in there. It's a PITA hauling it in and out. At least I don't have to do that with the Garmin. Where you store your vehicle might make theft a moot point but another consideration (and I might be wrong about this) is having to boot up a I-Pad or similar every time I head out. Work wise this is huge IMO... I hate having to boot stuff up. The Garmin turns on when I start the vehicle and usually jumps to the map mode after some time on the road. Mind you I'm using this as a work tool and YMMV using it for travel. A huge negative for the Garmin as mentioned is the generic "clunky" video screen. Poor graphics for sure compared to many programs or apps. But for simplicity, it's there, it's on and running with the turn of the key. If you input an address it will give you every address in the US that matches, giving the nearest town to your location with that address first. You don't have to stretch the screen or select an app just touch where to and select address then punch in the numbers. It has simple buttons to zoom in or out and you can turn the screen like a tablet can if needed. Before they installed the Garmin I relied on the PC maps and rarely took the time to fire it up and input an address...I survived many years without PC's and cell phones and can usually find an address. The company has put thousands of POI's in the Garmin that take me to a variety of spots. There are well over 200,000 electrical meter locations alone in it and that is just one small section in the user POI's program. Every tower, pole, switch, fusing point, transformer, regulator and capacitor is in this thing and there are hundreds of thousands of these w/i our control area. Glad I wasn't the one who built the program or who updates it. As a work tool it's by far a very handy unit. For travel some may feel it's a bit lacking. It does have a host of features I rarely use. Here's are some links:

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

DaveB I think you and I do (or would) use a tablet in very similar ways. As mentioned I don't travel across the globe, mostly within 200 miles of home which reduces the amount of info I'd need to access any given time. Map-wise what would be most useful would be zoomable maps, showing a general route getting me near a destination. Once close to the final destination zooming in to see individual street names etc would be out-of-this-world beneficial and the main reason something GPS-like is of interest to me now.

Theft-wise I'm fairly okay with such a device being left in the work truck while its not in use---there's virtually no way to see inside while parked overnight, alarmed on-board too. When/if parked temporarily (Loew's etc etc) pawn shop gems are always hidden from view. In fact knowing me such a device would constantly be left in the truck, power adapter or charger within quick reach when needed.

Viva's recommendations about the 3g-enabled iPads is very helpful too. When I make the pilgrimage to the local mega-computer store zeroing in on a few specific models will keep me from being overwhelmed by the millions of choices I know I'll face.

All in all I think the dedicated GPS's like Garmin etc have a bit more than I need or want----you guys have been great teaching me about what they typically include. POI's and such don't really appeal as I'm usually on the road only for business, not a lot of sight seeing then. If the graphics and info display aren't all that impressive that's another reason to more carefully consider the iPad (or its kin) approach.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote