Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #21

I've installed a bouncie in my van, no great features, pretty basic.

For $8 a month you get GPS position, trip logs (fuel economy hard braking/acceleration). It also notifies you about codes. It plugs in the ODB2 connector, turns on when the vehicle starts and off when the vehicle stops. It has an internal battery that charges when the vehicle is running to not kill your battery.
When the vehicle is off I believe it stills turns on every X mins and sends pings to the server to store your coordinates, not very sure about this.

For $8 a month you get GPS tracking, I think is a pretty good deal. Reviews in amazon also claim that they were able to get a discound in insurance. Now is time for me to renew so I'm definetly gonna call this out.

lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashidalgo View Post
I've installed a bouncie in my van, no great features, pretty basic.
It plugs in the ODB2 connector,
I've seen quite a few of the type that plug into the OBD2, my concern is that they are easy to spot and remove, so someone stealing my van can simply unplug the unit. My previous unit was hardwired, and hidden deeply in the dash, making it much harder to detect or remove. I really like the fact that it could also shut down the van, which could problematic though, if it were to shut down at the wrong time, possibly causing an accident. Anyway, this is all good stuff, hopefully someone finds a reasonably priced, hardwired, unit with a few usable features.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:44 PM   #23
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
For tracking purposes only, I’ve thought about hiding an old iPhone or iPad in a cabinet with an available usb outlet to plug in.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish41 View Post
MadScience, LTE-M sounds promising. Do you have any recommendations for asset tracking devices that can use it?
I have not tried any of these myself yet. I'm still trying to figure out which product to upgrade the one on our dog to, before Verizon's 2G CDMA is turned off. This is how I know that in theory at least LTE-M should be a good fit for something like a vehicle tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Got a link to the device you referenced?
The numbers I referenced were with respect to the Samsung SmartThings Tracker, it looks like it might even come with the first year of service free, so that makes it a $50 device.

Again, I have not tried this, nor have I done a full rundown of the competition.

Edit: Amazon reviews suggest that that device may shut down after some number of days, even when constantly charged. Enough stuff sounds broken on Android as well, possibly making this an apple-only device.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #25

I use one from these guys works great.

https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
I use one from these guys works great.

https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/
Vanzilla which one are you using?
There definitely are a lot of options to choose from, and i am trying to see which ones have the best service plans.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #27

Spot Trace

I have the Spot Trace which works very well for me. I have it hardwired into the aux battery and it has lithium batteries to keep it going if the thieves disconnect the van batteries. I also have the SPOT genII so it is one bill.

The Trace is small and there are lots of places on the van to put it where it can "see" the sky. It cant go under sheet metal but there are lots of fiberglass places on a Sportsmobile to install it.

It is quite sensitive and sometimes alerts just from vibrations of climbing into the van or starting the engine even without driving.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #28

Blowby the one i use is like this.

140-Day 4G Magnetic GPS Tracker

its not on the site now but its self contained. and holds a charge for several Months. Runs on Verizon. cost about 25 per month. I wish that was lower.. But its Security you just cant live without as our vans are targets.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #29

Well I finally made the decison and went and purchased the Optimus 2.0.
Have just received it and the activation was painless,so am looking forward to see how it will perform on a upcoming trip.
There is definitely a lot of options out there,and for the price and the fact that you can cancel anytime I figured I would give it a go.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
I have the Spot Trace which works very well for me. I have it hardwired into the aux battery and it has lithium batteries to keep it going if the thieves disconnect the van batteries. I also have the SPOT genII so it is one bill.

The Trace is small and there are lots of places on the van to put it where it can "see" the sky. It cant go under sheet metal but there are lots of fiberglass places on a Sportsmobile to install it.

It is quite sensitive and sometimes alerts just from vibrations of climbing into the van or starting the engine even without driving.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

I also have the Spot Trace. $225 annual subscription, GPS tracking, AAA battery operated. Batteries have lasted a couple of months, with a message when they get low. The unit is small, 2"X2"X1", easily hidden. I get a kick tracking their test drives after dropping the van off at the dealer for repair. It works! Between that and a Ravelco, it is an 'insurance' cost that is worth the amount to try to prevent loss of a valued asset. YMMV.

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote