Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

GPS Vehicle Tracker recommendations

Well after reading these latest threads about stolen vans,it has got me thinking it might be a good idea to purchase a GPS Tracker.
Read a couple of older threads on anti theft devices and I do have a remote start with alarm system but was thinking a tracker might be a good addition.
Would prefer one that I could wire into the 12V system so that recharging isn't an issue.
I presently have a Garmin Mini tracker for my outdoor pursuits,and was trying to think if I could utilize that considering I pay a $25 a month subscription.
I would figure that stereo manafacturers could utilize the mapping feature utilized in the head unit as a gps tracker somehow.
Anyone have any first hand experience with solutions?
Thanks
Roger

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

Subscribed......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #3

Garage
Also interested in the feedback you receive Blowby.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

I've been starting to research trackers for the van also. The tracker would be in edition to the security measures already in place. As such I'm hoping this thread discusses trackers and not all the other anti theft products out there.

Looking forward to the responses here.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #5

I'm curious as well. I see a few options on Amazon, but with various pros and cons.

One is $149, has a 2 month battery (rechargeable) and doesn't appear to require a subscription, 140 country coverage. Con is size and needs a separate case for external hidden installation.

Another is much cheaper ($49), much smaller, doesn't require a WP case, but is subscription based and battery life is up to a week or so, which could be tedious and is US-only (other countries optional, I think).

This could be one of those questions that may be hard to answer. In reality, only a small percentage of van folks are on this site. Of those, only a few have unfortunately had their van stolen. It would require a fairly specific set of circumstances for one to actually have experience with one of these systems. But along with a regular alarm, it's something to consider. Especially for those of us who would do a DIY build and therefore have far more invested into a van than it could probably be insured for.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

As noted in another thread, I've been happy with my Optimus 2.0 tracker. Good features with the software at a relatively inexpensive $20/month (can set notifications for movement of vehicle, if vehicle is going over certain speed, can set geofences, etc).
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #7

I currently have a tracking system that's feature rich, including the ability to shut down the vehicle, listen to voices, set up geofences etc, but it's not currently activated because it operates using a GSM compatible SIM card. It's my understanding that networks to operate GSM devices are quite limited, ATT quit supporting GSM in 2017, and most other carriers are eliminating service at the end of the year. There is limited support in some area's, but it may not work when needed most. It's unfortunate because there are lots of inexpensive GSM devices available, but they only operate on what is mostly an obsolete service in the US. My current device doesn't have a subscription cost, it just needs an active SIM, but it now looks like most all new devices require a monthly subscription and I'm unclear if that includes a SIM card. So, while researching devices, make sure it operates on current networks like 3G and 4G

Here's the unit currently on Amazon, note it's very inexpensive but only works on GSM https://www.amazon.com/RedSun-Tracke...9349120&sr=8-1
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the information, arctictraveller. Optimus also offers a satellite-based GPS tracker (at a little higher initial cost) so I'm going to look into that if the 2.0 I have is not supported at some point or if I have coverage issues.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

You don't just have to look for vehicle trackers anymore. LTE-M is changing this space pretty dramatically right now. Way lower power requirements than GSM and plan options around $50 per year.

This might be low enough to get me there. I'd hide it well somewhere where it can get signal. I'd also wire up a hidden 12v USB charger permanently.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

LoJack...u don't have access to location, but the cops do.

CarLink....supports remote start and location data all from your smart phone.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote