Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Heated Wipers/Washer Solution?

That's an interesting device JoeyNick.

I guess the only downside I see is cost---not all that much though at $150 but my idea of using existing engine heat along with the factory W/S washer system I think that would be one less thing to fail----always at the wrong or worst time too.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #12

JWA: Are you concerned about cracking the windshield? (I have had the windshield crack in my van from just having a chip in the windshield and running the heater defrost on full during a snowstorm.)
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 AM   #13
JWA

Good question E350---as it happens I'm actually in the auto/truck glass biz!

Any existing chip or such in the W/S anywhere is technically a break and highly subject to cracking, splitting or "running" pretty much without any external factors such as heated washer solution. As an example stone chips have been known to grow during summer months or under intense sunlight---thermal expansion. Same for a very cold windshield if a sudden blast of warm defrost air is applied. Then again a rather severe pothole can cause the same thing.

Because I always warm my truck somewhat slowly when/if heated washer solution was available it would never be used when the W/S was at a low ambient temperature.

And not adding insult should there be a break in my W/S its shockingly cheap for me to replace so not really a big deal...........
Old 02-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #14

I used to run the washer hose coiled around the coolant hose in quite a few vehicles and it served me well for the 3$ solution it is and this might be one of the next mods on my van (now that you mentioned it). The pump will have no problem with the extra length of 1-2ft. We ran a stock pump with a 4 gallon reservoir mounted in the back of a Suzuki to clean the windshield in Baja style races with no ill effect on the pump.
What I liked on my 2nd gen RAM was that Dodge mounted the reservoir directly to the side of the radiator, so it would be heated by it automatically. If that is not enough, get some heated nozzles from any car avail with them and mount them in the hood.
I'll have to add a washer system for my headlights anyway since I'll get my Truck Lite LED headlights next week and they won't melt snow in the winter.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #15
JWA

Karsten that's a similar approach to my initial idea---great minds think alike.

Because I installed an aftermarket rear heater my semi-elaborate plumbing with selector valves feeding it run close to the line feeding the W/S nozzles. Using extra tubing wrapped around the hot coolant lines would add enough heat to the washer solution to make it more efficient.

There is also a plan to eliminate the cowl-mounted nozzles, moving them to the wiper arms---I don't like the spray pattern of the stock nozzles. Having the solution more directly delivered to the windshield should give me better cleaning results with a bit less required to do a good job. The end result won't be as pretty as the stock set up but results are the goal, not a beauty contest.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #16

I'm a big fan of KISS (keep it stupid simple) when it comes to things like that
I drove several vehicles with the nozzles at the blades and didn't like it very much. I prefer the spray ahead of the wipers.
Adding an additional heater core is also on my list. Do you have a build up on that anywhere ? I'd like to see what valves you used there.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

In general, I hate the wipers on my 98 E250. So tiny for such a big window! The washer nozzles aren't a whole lot better. I'm interested in seeing the details of your washer nozzle relocation, JWA. Please post more info when you do it (I'm sure you will...).

On the Subarus I've owned that have "heated wipers," they basically just install some heat tape inside the windshield at the bottom in the areas where the wipers come to rest. Doesn't really work that well, IMO, but better than nothing.

Does your fluid routinely freeze up? I've never had that issue in any vehicle, even when I lived in cold Chicago, except for just recently in my Subaru during our cold snap here in Pennsylvania (temps around 5 degrees). I'm not sure if it froze in the reservoir, or in the tubing (I assume the latter) as I wasn't too interested in poking around under the hood in those temps. I attribute it to some cheap washer fluid I bought that I think was mostly just blue-colored water. I've since replaced it with fluid that's supposedly good down to -35.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:33 AM   #18
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten
I'm a big fan of KISS (keep it stupid simple) when it comes to things like that
I drove several vehicles with the nozzles at the blades and didn't like it very much. I prefer the spray ahead of the wipers.
Adding an additional heater core is also on my list. Do you have a build up on that anywhere ? I'd like to see what valves you used there.
Brian I use 22" wiper blades----love the larger swept area they give.

Relocating the nozzles on the wiper arms will put more solution on the W/S slightly ahead of the wiper on its upstroke. Instead of a wide spray originating at the cowl the spray pattern of my chosen nozzles will put more solution in the path of the wiper instead of flooding the entire W/S where it runs downward into wiper path. It's my general thought I'll use less solution but it being directed more carefully the overall effect will be better.

Not really had my solution freeze however the cowl-mounted nozzles become buried under snow and ice and unable to squirt fluid. Because the defrost function has no effect on them its either digging them out my hand or suffering through it all until the ice melts away. Arm-mounted nozzles along with a heated solution may eliminate this 3-month-a-year problem.

When this is finally put into action I will detail part numbers used along with a few photos. (Originally planned to do this over the past summer---time and interest ran out too soon. Oh, we who procrastinate. )

Heated wiper park windshields have been with us a few years on different brands, differing degrees of effectiveness. They're basically larger more concentrated embedded rear window defogger grids. Naturally the more expensive brands like Mercedes, BMW etc have better results with these otherwise most are generally pretty pathetic; good idea, poor execution.

My aftermarket rear heater is somewhat elaborate and rather than clog this thread with its description anyone interested should begin a new thread somewhere here---not sure if in Interiors, Van Body or Home Builds. BTW by "elaborate" I mean there is electrical work along with coolant flow issues in order to have full control of the rear unit. As mine exists it can be fully isolated from the OEM heater core. As I understand it the Club Wagon versions have rear heater flowing coolant when the engine is running, IOW full time.