Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
You do if you work for ARB, I guess. Even if you have 5 snatch blocks though finding 5 appropriately located points to attach them is going to be tough.... Unless you run our an buy 5 pull-palls.

At this point I have 3 snatch blocks. I've got one from my good old (boy) days, one from the recovery kit I bought with the van, and I just won a new one in a raffle.

The raffle is for a Adventure Trailer (sweet) in March or so. Till then they have monthly drawings for other stuff. When they contacted me for my shipping address I promised I'd pass the word along about the raffle.

http://www.africanconservationfund.org/ ... view/77/5/

I'm hoping to win the trailer to carry all the snatch blocks and pull-pals it looks like I should be carrying.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #12

Well? What, if anything, did you come up with for mounting a Hi Lift? I don't have a big box rear box on my Aluminess bumper to mount a Hi Lift to, so looking for a viable alternative. Just got the 4XRAC mounts in the mail today. Thinking they are not going to work for my Sporty (will use on my buggy instead). Anyone fab or buy a Hi Lift mount for the spare tire carrier (some other brands out there make them for different apps but a quick search didn't yeild any that would work with 8 lug spare tire carriers)? How about a clamp-style mount for the front bumper tube? Hoping to keep it off the roof and not under the vehicle. Went with the 48 incher, not the 60.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #13

Re: Hi Lift jack and mounting

I've now gone and bought a 60-inch hi-lift jack -- and I really plan on using it only for emergencies. I was convinced that the hi-lift is best kept relatively clean, so I won't be mounting it under my van. (I wish I could think of something to do with all that "space".)

It seems there are very few places inside my RB-50 van that will accommodate a 5-foot jack, even disassembled. Sideways under the rear seat was a possibility, but the weight of the bar seemed to be crushing my water pipes. Bad idea. I finally found that it would (just barely!) fit in the left-rear RB-50 storage area, if I mounted it diagonally. It's a bit difficult to see in these photos, but I used two L-brackets (covered in black felt to prevent rattling) to mount it on the inside wall, and another bolt to lock it in place.

The remainder of the hi-lift parts easily fit deep (in the frontward region) of this RB50 storage area. It would take a few minutes to unload enough junk to get this jack out when needed, but hopefully it won't be often or when I'm in a hurry!

-- Geoff
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #14

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
You do if you work for ARB, I guess. Even if you have 5 snatch blocks though finding 5 appropriately located points to attach them is going to be tough.... Unless you run our an buy 5 pull-palls.
We did this at one of the SMB Rallys but only needed 3 snatch blocks. For anchors, we positioned one van in front of the "stuck one", one to the right facing away from the stuck van with a D ring in the hitch receiver, and one positioned behind the stuck vehicle. The winch cable went from the stuck vehicle winch, to a snatch block on the vehicle in front, to a snatch block in the D ring on the vehicle to the side, to a snatch block on the vehicle behind the stuck vehicle, and then hooked to the stuck vehicle. Worked fine. You could get by with just two snatch blocks but that means that the cable needs to go under the stuck vehicle. Some short pieces of 2x4 (you do carry those too, right?) might keep the cable from damaging something. I don't worry too much about it since we have a winch and Hi-Lift and also carry a Pull-Pal.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #15

Our Hi-Lift jack is mounted to the front bumper:

This has worked out fairly well although some periodic oiling it needed to keep it working as it should.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #16

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
we positioned one van in front of the "stuck one", one to the right facing away from the stuck van with a D ring in the hitch receiver, and one positioned behind the stuck vehicle.
Not very "stay the trail"... then again if you had 3 other vans I doubt you'd need such fancy recovery tactics. I suppose it's something to know in case you get stuck exactly around three perfect trees and absolutely cannot go forward. Of course you need 3 treesavers and at least 3 d-rings to go through the blocks and of course plenty of extra cable...

Point being I think somewhere the line between real world situation and professional-style expedition gets crossed.

On the hi-lift jacks- 1) one of my hi-lifts has lived outside for YEARs on the back and front of my Jeep. There is some surface rust that a little 3in1 will take care of, but functionally it's fine ( tested before temporarily putting on the SMB for my last trip )
2) not that I don't appreciate your solution geoffff, but the parts that need to be protected don't include the standard (bar)- once you break it down and store the mechanism, I'd think the handle and standard could go anywhere. You're not losing any more time taking it apart and putting it together, nor digging things out since you already do that, and if any part is going to not be functionally affected by weather, it's the bar (it will rust if you use the jack don't repaint)

A little benefit to breaking down your hi-lift... when you're with other people unless NOBODY else has a jack, no one will want to wait for you to dig it out and put it together, even if you're the one who is stuck...
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #17

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
2) not that I don't appreciate your solution geoffff, but the parts that need to be protected don't include the standard (bar)- once you break it down and store the mechanism, I'd think the handle and standard could go anywhere. You're not losing any more time taking it apart and putting it together, nor digging things out since you already do that, and if any part is going to not be functionally affected by weather, it's the bar (it will rust if you use the jack don't repaint)
Good to know, Jage. In testing it out, I got worried that those pins going in and out might need precise dirt-free clearance to not stick & bind. Maybe I'll move that bar back out later, mounting it on my front bumper or perhaps with my rear-mounted spare.

-- Geoff
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

You might want to look how Gregg mounted his. I did the same. Spray it down with Fluid Film from time to time to keep rust out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #19

Geoff ,
Your Jack will stay cleaner if mounted on front of your Van . Front mounted will keep the Hi Lift out of the turbulent dust ball incurred while running down unpaved surfaces . Fluid Film and the Boeshield T-9 waterproof lubrication will protect your jack from the elements and keep it running smoothly for years to come .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #20

here is where mine ended up, for now. since ive had alot fo vw syncros that larger than stock tires were forced on the back, im loving keeping it underneath this time. figured the spare tire swing was a good place. might go on front eventually

coguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote