Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Hi-Lift Jacks

After the little dilemma in DV with Cellular-Steve I now think a Hi-Lift jack is something I want to have, but I have a few questions. I read through the archives and understand there are several options other than a Hi-Lift but in Steve’s situation the Hi-Lift was about the only thing that got him out of the jam he was in. A bottle or air jack would not have worked IMO. The Hi-Lift worked well but his van is much lighter than mine.
My weights last time I checked:
Total = 11,080
F axle = 4,320
R axle = 6,760
LF = 2,340
RF = 1,980
LR = 3,340
RR = 3,360

One member made the comment he was barely able to get the wheel off the ground while lifting off the bumper but I’m not sure I want to use it for that unless it’s my only choice.

So….
<<Will the heavy duty model lift my axle or am I asking for trouble?>>

<<What size should I get if buy one? Any advantage of the 60” over the 48”?>>
I understand where lifting the bumper would require the tallest jack.

SMB can mount it under the front bumper.
<<Mistake?>>

It’s heavy and difficult to remove/install mounted there plus I don’t know what it will do to the air flow if any. It sets up high so I’m not really worried about hitting it and if I sink to a point that I can’t get it out, I still have a winch.
I’m resisting mounting above the fairlead because it blocks the license plate and the fog lights, plus because the SMB kit mount sticks out so far, it causes trouble for me when parking the van at home. Mounting on top of the bumper is possible but I would rather not have it there for “looks” reason. My back bumper has a pull pal and large equipment box in the way but if there is a way to sneak it in back there I’m all ears. Also, I’m open to any other suggestions or views.

Thanks
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #2

Re: Hi-Lift Jacks

Dave,
I mounted mine on the front bumper and you can also mount it to the top tube of your bumper as well. There not that heavy so issues there. If you want to see what it looks like, check out my gallery and see how it looks.
Also go to YouTube and watch Bill Burkes video on HI Lifts great info for all users.
Smart choice,
Cheers
I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

someone here build a very cool mount
will have to hunt

i think i gotta get one as Wilson has no winch only a wench

what say you all?

(i mean after all Dave is getting one
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #4

I'm looking into getting a Yakima Mega Warrior basket for up top. Yakima sell Hi-Lift brackets to put it on the side of that.

In the middle of moving right now, but if/when I pull the trigger I'll post pics and a review.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #5

I've seen some folks drop em right in the middle of their hoods... That's probably not for everybody though. =)
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #6

Dave ,
I have used the Hi Lift Products for over 30 years and have had nothing but good results , the key to it's use is to think your situation out as I know that you do and proceed slowly . If you purchase I would recommend the 60" (Extreme) as it will give you a little more utility and get their base to stabilize in sandy or off camber situations as well as the following accessories
listed in the order of importance . Lift Mate , Bumper Lift ( for use on your shackles ) Fix It Kit
and the Handle Keepers ( I hate rattles ) I would also suggest a very heavy duty 2,000 lb.
6 to 8 foot Ratchet Strap to be used when your situation warrant's the securing and limiting of
travel on your front suspension ( go to www.rimrockmtn.com ) and see Jack Straps . I didn't purchase their's I made my own . I use to use a short choker chain but have found the strap a better alternative .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #7

Dave,

I built some brackets for my Hi-lift jack. Check it out in this picture. Tomorrow I will take some close ups and explanation of what I did. Let me know.

Woody

Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Dave ,
I used the Yakima Mounts on the front bumper as suggested by Blackeye and been very pleased with
the function .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRider
Dave,
I mounted mine on the front bumper and you can also mount it to the top tube of your bumper as well.
Cheers
Can’t put it where yours is. If I close my gate where it’s parked, I can’t walk by the van to get into the house and if I get the 60” it would block the fog lights. Steve mounted his on top but I really don’t like the way it looks. I mean it doesn’t look bad but mounted under the bumper looks better. I’m gonna have to factor how many times I would even have to use it. Usually I can “rig” my way out of a situation using my winch and the numerous snatch blocks and slings I carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
someone here build a very cool mount
will have to hunt.
Seems I recall a nice rear bumper mount and I do remember someone that had one attached to the spare. Maybe I call Dave @ Aluminess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
I'm looking into getting a Yakima Mega Warrior basket for up top. Yakima sell Hi-Lift brackets to put it on the side of that.
I have a large rack up top and have enough weight up there already so can’t do that. Its got to be mounted on one of the bumpers somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
I've seen some folks drop em right in the middle of their hoods... That's probably not for everybody though. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Dave ,
If you purchase I would recommend the 60" (Extreme) as it will give you a little more utility and get their base to stabilize in sandy or off camber situations as well as the following accessories listed in the order of importance. Lift Mate, Bumper Lift ( for use on your shackles ) Fix It Kit and the Handle Keepers ( I hate rattles ) I would also suggest a very heavy duty 2,000 lb. 6 to 8 foot Ratchet Strap to be used when your situation warrant's the securing and limiting of travel on your front suspension. I use to use a short choker chain but have found the strap a better alternative.

I used the Yakima Mounts on the front bumper as suggested by Blackeye and been very pleased with the function.
Greggde
I agree Greg. I think it was Veg Hed that said he almost ran out of Jack lifting the bumper during a flat. I do plan to get the accessories you’re discussing. Right now it’s where to put the thing. I think Steve had the tall one. Like I said, it can’t stick out any further than the fairlead cover and I really do not want to give up my front plate. You got a pic in your album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbee
Dave, I built some brackets for my Hi-lift jack. Check it out in this picture. Tomorrow I will take some close ups and explanation of what I did. Let me know.
Woody
Woody, is that a 60” jack? I like that mounting spot the best but I think your 08 style bumper is different than the 06 bumper. Also, I don’t see a fairlead on your bumper. If I had a hawse fairlead things would be different. Still, I would really like to see how you mounted it up. It looks like it sits higher that the others I’ve seen. Maybe I could squeeze it in and as long as it sits flush to the bumper, misses the lights, and doesn’t protrude any more than the Warn fairlead cover that would work. I know I talked to you about it some time back. Was it a post?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #10

Dave,

I will take picts. and explain what I did. Its a 48" jack. My license plate is bolted on to my Warn winch cover and I used a bungie cord to hold the cover on tight.

Woody