Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

How do you store your bikes?

I’m wondering how you folks are storing bikes in your vans, specifically E-Series. I know that a popular way is on top of the galley box. I see a lot of the high roof Sprinter and Transit folks are storing them in the “garage” under the rear bed. Has anyone come up with some creative bike storage ideas For your E-Series van that keeps them protected from the elements (and thrives) while not taking up too much space? Post pics!

thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #2

Garage
Our van has the walkthrough design, and we have two 20" fat tire e-bikes which fold in half. They fit nicely down the aisle at the back of the Van. Does hinder access to sink (unless we open the backdoors), stove (but never cook inside), the tall closet & couple drawers.
We still have access to the Fridge and our gaucho still folds out. Have slept in the Van a couple times with the bikes still in place, but anyway you spin it they take up space.
We don't use a rear bike rack, simply because these things weigh in excess of 65lbs each...I'm not inclined to lift them that high or take them down. But, they are more protected inside the Van.

Sorry, no pic's of the Bikes in the van - but you can envision the aisle with the two bikes from the end of the gaucho to the back.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Following as this is relevant to my own pending build.

Depends a lot on what kind of bikes you have. And how many bikes you want to keep inside. TwoXentrix's solution is not acceptable for me and my enduro/DH race bikes.

So far, I haven't seen a solution that beats the simple "bikes under the bed" garage using a fork mount. I have not figured out a "front wheel on" solution as the bed would end up too high.

You "might" be able to fit them across the back of the van, depending on the bikes. I tried that and even with the front wheel removed, my bikes are too long. One of the downsides of modern mtn bike geometry...

Bear in mind any one of my bikes cost more than I paid for the van, so outside storage is never happening.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

I generally travel with my bikes on a rear rack, but sometimes i want to keep one or two inside

i used airline track at the side doors and fabricated quick release fork mounts. the thumb screw is to tension it from wobbling.

i ride a XL hardtail 29er. its a big bike but might not be as long as some long travel bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200411_152549929.jpg   IMG_20200619_132119197.jpg  
axcxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

I have an XL 150mm 27.5 modern enduro bike and it fits across the back, front wheel off. No aux heating/cooling unit back there though, if we had that they wouldn't fit. I haven't come up with an elevated bed solution that I really like, so we're just going to leave them across the back and build that up as a garage/gear storage and do a fold out bed in front of it.

Both for weather and theft protection, the bikes definitely live inside.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote