Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #21

Garage
I wonder if our impact drivers will operate the H1 jacks with the correct adapter (I can make it in my machine shop)?

Old 02-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #22

Garage
Make it! The big gun may do it.
vandiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I wonder if our impact drivers will operate the H1 jacks with the correct adapter (I can make it in my machine shop)?
Something like this?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scissor-Jac...3286?_trkparms

I vaguely remember John at Agile saying something about being careful to not ruin the jack by trying to use power to raise/lower it.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #24

Garage
Awaiting delivery of our 2019 Transit HR Eco Quigley 4X4 on March 17th at SMB West. I have a 2 ton Powerbuilt Unijack but not knowing if it will lift the van in a pinch and not wanting to find out, I also purchased a H1 Hummer scissor jack on eBay and an Agile adaptor. Agile Off-road sells the whole kit (Jack + adaptor) for $339 but the jack is on back order.....
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #25

Garage
I received my H1 jack from that fella on ebay with a truckload of them. It's been around a little while but clearly never actually used, and cleaned up very nicely. Got my Agile adapter block last week. I like that the input mechanism is geared to really give it some power. Much more manageable than the HiLift it is replacing.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #26
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
Something like this?:

I vaguely remember John at Agile saying something about being careful to not ruin the jack by trying to use power to raise/lower it.
I would speculate IF we tried with a powered tool AND we used it at a slow(er) speed along with generous lubrication of the lifting screw it shouldn't be too much of an issue. When I used my ratcheting included wrench it was pretty much a one-handed chore, a decently powerful cordless tool with the right adapter would be a nice addition to the kit.

Has anyone bought and used the adapter used in that link?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #27

Regarding the sunk cost in power tool setups, you can be swayed to change. We've been using 18V tools of one brand for a decade around the house and recently had our deck replaced by a pro using Dewalt (mostly) cordless tools. Incredible performance and battery life for what he was doing. For Christmas my wife got us a Dewalt starter kit consisting of a drill, driver, two batteries, and their program offered a "+2" for free so she got a reciprocating saw and another battery. Might swap that saw for a circular saw, but the drill and driver are killer. Great power and battery life. Speaking as an old dog, I'm okay with this new trick.

The old set is becoming cumbersome with multiple chargers and extra batteries, then you have to buy a replacement drill of the same brand when your first one won't reverse, etc. And, battery life seemed to be diminishing over time, or else the chargers weren't doing their job. Anyway, we like the new stuff.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
DeWalt tools are built cheap to sell to the more price conscious crowd. While we might see some used by professionals chances are they too purchase based on cost---in that setting once the tool or battery is gone its replaced. I personally have never known a repaired DeWalt tool to work as well as new and they seem to completely fail after those repairs, no matter who does it. I believe they're simply not good tools for the longer term

I'm in and out of quite a few heavy duty truck repair shops and rarely see DeWalt used by those mechanics. It might be a snobbish thing or could be a quality issue but they're just not that common in those shops. Typically a higher cost of a tool isn't an issue, reliability and long life are though.

OTOH if you/we find a brand we feel works well for us there's not a single thing wrong with thinking its more than adequate for the job. If you use any tool daily or for income at some point buying the "better" tool proves to be the best choice.

This is strictly my opinion and naturally it's supported by all my own "research".
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #29

Garage
Not to be a tool snob, but I agree with JWA. Professional use is simply more demanding than home use. Ryobi and DeWalt are just not in the same league as Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #30

Just to add my 2 cents - I purchased the h1 jack on ebay and bought the agile offroad adapter (funny that that little piece costs twice as much as the jack). It works very well. Just used it this weekend to rotate my tires w/ 2 jack stands.

While you can use a drill with a bit-to-socket adapter (cheap at any hardware store) + a socket to raise/lower the jack, be very careful if you use an impact driver. If there's anything in the threads of the scissor jack, a driver will hammer right through it and potentially eat up the threads of the jack's raising/lowering mechanism. My recommendation is to just use a drill to raise/lower the jack until it makes contact with your van, then manually crank it to your desired height. It really isn't that hard/much extra time.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote