Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Hummer scissor jack

I’ve been reading through the old threads on the best jack to get for changing a flat tire. I now realize that our hi lift jack is pretty worthless for this task. We’ve been driving around for 2 yr without a proper jack - fortunately without incident.

It seems the hummer scissor jack is recommended. My question is: the Jack is rated for 3 tons - is this powerful enough for a 5 ton van? Also, how high does it lift? Our van has high clearance with 33” tires.

Other recommendations?

Thanks.

Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #2

Garage
You arent lifting the entire Van, the jack only has to negotiate the weight from the area you are lifting.
Going from memory, I believe the HI Jack has 17-18" lift - bear in mind thats on a hard flat surface...sand, mud, and any uneven road conditions all play into the equation. Best to carry a couple pieces of 2x4 and a solid base to position the jack on for stability and possibly to help compensate for lift needed...Could PM 86Scotty for permission to use any of the boulders/rocks he's left behind for the rest of us to use occasionally.

If you get the Jack, seriously consider one of the Agile adapters
https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...-jack-adaptor/
Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #3

I had read something about the agile adaptor but wasn’t sure what it was. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Having used many combinations of jacks of any and all descriptions there's simply no better option than the Hummer-type heavy duty for raising a van that approaches 7,500 # and more. Add in larger tires and 4X4 drive trains and you're dealing with lifting situations most every other "portable" jack was never ever intended to encounter. For what we use them for there's no compromise made relating to being safe during a tire change.

The Agile adapter is a highly recommended additional part that adds another safety factor---in all honesty the Hummer jack's lifting pad isn't well suited to a van so I'd say this is a huge must have when going this route.

Having used one to swap a slow leaking tire I was surprised how easily it was to raise the rear left corner of my van, stability was great for this task.

As a distant second-best jack the Powerbuilt Unijack would be something to consider however it doesn't lower enough to fit under an axle that has a flat tire. While I have one and would use it on a hard flat surface the Hummer-type is better suited for roadside on off-road use. Unijack link: https://www.powerbuilt.com/products/...ckstand-in-one These can be found for $50-60 with a little shopping around.

The Unijacks also require a bit more floor space when stowing--the Hummer-type are remarkably compact and could easily fit under an E-Series front seat in a lot of instances.

So that's just my $0.02 worth---FWIW.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Agile also has a jack to be used in combination with the frame adaptor. Although a bit pricey, it looks very good quality. I think we'll go with that.

https://agileoffroad.com/product/h1-...-scissor-jack/
Old 02-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #6

Garage
You can find the same jack on EBay (or an Army surplus) for considerably less - might need a little cleaning up. Bought mine (like many others here) for under $125...used a can of spray paint primer on it after 20 minutes of cleaning - Looks great. Just an FYI.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #7

Garage
I carry a Pro Eagle 3 Ton Kratos floor jack and mount in my rig and it has been a very valuable addition. It's not small or particularly light, but it's lifted things way over it's rating with ease. They come with an extension that allows for lift heights other jacks only dream of. I had a Hi-Lift in the van for nearly 5 years without a single use and decided the boat anchor had to go. I do also have the factory bottle jack and a scissor jack, but those are last ditch effort items with the floor jack being so easy to deal with.

https://www.proeagle.com/products/3-...el-jack-kratos

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #8

Garage
I have a large bottle jack that also lifts on air pressure. You will need onboard air, but the thing lifts effortlessly.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #9

BOOM! Ebay H1 jacks 45 bucks ... 65 when you add shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133221962475

No affiliation here - I just was in the market for a jack as well and saw this thread which prompted me to check out Ebay. I actually just pulled the trigger on one of these. so $65 jack with agiles adapter ... now sitting at $165 for a jack system ,,, still beats most other options out there.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
Agile also has a jack to be used in combination with the frame adaptor. Although a bit pricey, it looks very good quality. I think we'll go with that.
As already said---hope we're not too late---that same jack although not as pristine and clean looking is the same found all over eBay. I bought mine for just over $70 shipped by a seller who had only 4, I was tempted to buy all 4 and pass the savings onto friends and those here who might be interested. Sadly that seller is no longer a member of eBay.

Buy the best parts but good gravy shop around first!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote